Monday, November 9, 2009

It's Confirmed - We're Having Two Girls!

Last week we saw our OB who was able to confirm for us from the u/s results that the microarray was correct in the genders and we are having two little girls! It really didn't matter what we have and at the risk of sounding trite, we just want them to be healthy. Without further ado - here are the u/s photos that were taken, one of each girl:








They each have two arms, 10 fingers, two legs, 10 toes...their hearts and all major organs were working. We are very thankful.


One of them is 13.6cm and the other is a little bigger at 15.4cm. I actually pulled out a ruler to see how big that was and I can't believe they're both that big already! Although, that's still pretty tiny for a whole person.


I have started feeling more kicking from both sides. Now that I know what it feels like I pay closer attention to those sensations. My DH has taken to calling them "Lefty" and "Righty" and just this past weekend, Righty was kicking the hardest yet (which still only feels like a little tapping from the inside) and my DH was able to feel that when he put his hands on my belly. That was such a wonderful experience for us - my face just split into the biggest grin, which was mirrored on my DH's face when he felt her kicking.

I've started to loosen my death grip on my nausea medication and have weaned down one pill a day so I'm now taking 3 pills instead of 4. I've noticed the difference in that I find my gag reflex is getting more sensitive and things are starting to bother me again. However, I'm still doing okay and will hopefully be able to wean off another pill next week.

We've really started to tell our friends now and that has been such a thrill for us to share the news and receive the congratulations. Many of our friends no longer live in the same city as we do so we never see them outside of the occasional visit so they wouldn't know until we told them. It is truly wonderful to hear the excitement and joy in their voices when we tell them and allows us to lose a little of our fear and celebrate as well.

Other than that, we're starting to compile a list of all the stuff we need to get before the babies arrive. I'm 21 weeks now and really, we only have about 4 months to go and we have to be prepared if they arrive early. We've been very fortunate not to have any pre-term labour or contractions and I seem to be doing well except for the occasional ache in my hips so I'm very hopeful that I will make it to the 40 week mark...at least at this point I am!

I haven't been a very frequent blogger of late but I wanted to make sure that I asked all of you who could, to send special wishes and warm thoughts to someone I'm going to call Mrs. LastChanceIVF. Her transfer is coming up this Wednesday, which is Remembrance Day here in Canada. Remembrance Day honours war veterans and although we have not fought personally in any of the World Wars or the Gulf War or the war in Afghanistan or any othre war for that matter, we have fought our own very personal wars these past few years. As you can probably tell from her moniker, this is her last IVF and I want to send her as much positivity and good wishes that I can. If you have a few minutes, think of her and wish her well.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am glad you are doing alright sweetie and the bebes are wonderful. I will head on over to your friends site now!

Emily said...

Hooray for Team Pink X2! Let the shopping begin! I cannot believe you are 21 weeks already!! Do as much as you can now, I only have 6w left and am feeling overwhelmed by how much we have to do/buy for one baby!
Glad you are feeling better!
Isn't movement amazing?

Meant to be a mom said...

I will definitely say a prayer for mrs. Last chance Ivf.
Congratulations on your two little girls. So exciting. You will have the time of your life dressing them and teaching them girl things.
They look just beautiful.

Jill M. said...

Yeah for accurate cgh gender results! Now you can go to town on buying lots of pink. Such cute u/s pics! My friend who is 29w had me feel her belly while the baby was kicking and it was the most amazing thing ever. I can only imagine how amazing it is when it's your baby kicking. Wow, 21w! Are you starting to show more now?

lastchanceivf said...

Oh my gosh, break out the PINK! This is so exciting!! Think of all the fun you are going to have with two little girls :)
Thanks for the extra well wishes, my friend. You're right--this has been one heck of an ongoing war. I really, really appreciate your support, and thanks for sending folks my way :) I'll be clutching your good luck charms tightly in my fist!

Kris said...

Woohoo! Congrats on the confirmation of two girls:) I am so glad that you are feeling better and trying to wean from the meds. I hope that you can continue to wean and still feel good:) I am so, so happy that your u/s went well!

Phoebe said...

How wonderful, two girls!! I hope you'll be ok off the nausea meds. Good luck with that!

As I'm about to post on hypnofertility, are you planning on doing any hypnobirthing? Maybe it would help you with the nausea?

Sue said...

Two girls! Since you got the microarray results, I'm guessing your DH had time to digest the news? Mine got very very nervous about the idea of 2 girls at once, lol. It is time to start shopping and working on the nursery - especially since you have 2 and are likely to have them a little sooner than later. Start the fun stuff now:-) I am so happy for you guys. The u/s's are absolutely beautiful!

elliej said...

What beautiful babies. Congratulations to you and your DH xxx

Sky said...

What beautiful girls! This is definitely the year of the XX's!

Unknown said...

wow!! so wonderful to hear about these two little girsl. What great u/s pics - they look beautiful and so big already. Are you showing yet?

I'll be thinking of Mrs. LCIVF and sending good thoughts.