Friday, October 30, 2009

No results yet!

For those of you who are keeping track, yes, we did have our 20 week u/s Wednesday but here in Canada, there are signs up everywhere that clearly state that "The ultrasonographer is NOT allowed to release the results of the ultrasound and that INCLUDES the sex of the baby". I was asking very nonchalant questions, prodding gently to see how much my ultrasonographer would reveal and she was pretty tight lipped. So, we have to wait to confirm that we are having two little girls until the doctor's visit this coming Tuesday.

The ultrasonographer did take a few minutes at the end of the scan to show both my DH and some shots of the kids. It was such a relief to see them both there...moving arond, each with her own head, arms, legs, heart, feet...they looked beautiful. One of them cracked me up - she stretched her jaws into this wide yawn right as we were looking at her as if to say "Mommy! Stop keeping us up! We want to sleep! Tell her to stop jiggling us around!" It really made me realize that there are two little people inside me with their own individual personalities. Wow.

All I was told that one twin had a HB of 157 and the other HB was 145, both totally normal heart rates and looking good. I don't know if they were measuring on target in terms of size and growth as she didn't share that info with me. I think I caught glimpses of their hearts pumping away and they looked pretty normal to me, the untrained eye. Both babies are head down which is good news for me since I want to try to avoid a c-section given my issues with keloid scars. If the babies were sideways, that would mean a definite c-section unless they somehow shifted between now and then. In any case, both head down is good news for us!

I'll scan in the two u/s pictures later this weekend as we are away visiting relatives in another city. I did get two really nice side profile shots that actually look like babies...even I can identify the heads! Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for following along.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I'm glad all went well! That "we can't tell you anything" really sucks. They had that all over my IVF clinic's walls, and they wouldn't show me the screen either when doing follicle counts, so I could only base my morning guess on whether things were growing on the number of times I heard the little "click, rollerball, click" sequence, which I assumed meant measuring one follicle.
And then we had our first scan for the HB at 7w. They wouldn't let DH in with me, I'd had zero symptoms, and they showed me nothing. Didn't show me a heartbeat flicker, zilch. And then I had to go back out to the waiting room to DH, who was sitting there waiting for the news, and tell him I had no clue. Thankfully after about 25min more waiting (where I was too nervous to read), one of the docs came out to tell us that she still had to see one more patient before us, but not to worry, all looked good.
The other ultrasound places I've been to since then have all shown me images on the screen, or at least given me a vague idea ("things look ok"). I know it's a liability thing, but those techs can read the ultrasound nearly as well as the radiologist. They're the ones who decide how many different images to take of anything that looks like potential trouble, so that the radiologist has all possible info for interpretation. Not knowing right away drives me nuts!
Maybe next time your doc can put something like "please send prelim result with patient" on the requisition? I've done that before, and it means you wait a few minutes longer for them to have the doc double-check their results, and then get a hand-written note telling you what the scan showed.

Meant to be a mom said...

I'm happy to hear all is well with the babies. I can't wait to hear what they are for sure.
I wouldn't know, My sons heartbeat was really close to both of those. It floated from 140's-160's on different occasions and everyone thought we were having a girl and it wasn't.

I can't wait to see the pics.

DAVs said...

I'm so glad everything looked good, even to your 'untrained' eye! Yes, you do have two little real people in there, developing their own little brains right now. Imagine how much fun you are going to have with two babies!

Jill M. said...

Nothing frustrates me more than this thing of, oh I can't tell you anything, you'll have to wait for the doctor to tell you. So annoying!!!! I hope you receive your news soon. I still can't believe you're 20w already, wow how time flies. Can't wait to see the u/s photos!