Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Feelings of Disbelief Still Invade My Thoughts

I can't help it. I am still in disbelief that this actually happening for us. I am over 17 weeks along now and every day I still wonder if I will see blood on my underwear or have a late term loss. I've read the stories and so have many of you - people have lost their twins in the 2nd trimester so it's not exactly improbable. Things are just more complicated when there are two floating around inside. Do these thoughts and feelings ever go away?



I still try hard to support my IVF buddies who are still fighting in the trenches and I keep up with their stories because I want to know how they're doing and how they're holding up. My heart aches with every valley they hit and it lifts when they reach the peaks. Keeping up with their stories and reading the boards at IVFC reminds me how lucky we are to have these kids are and how deeply and truly grateful I am for them...but I also can't help but reflect how fragile our situation can be.



Everyone keeps asking whether or not we've started shopping and I keep saying no...it seems too early to start yet really, we only have about 4.5 months to go so we really should start picking things up. I have also told my family and friends that I do not want a baby shower. There's that disbelief again. Chinese tradition is that we wait until the baby is 1 month old and then we have a big party to introduce the baby to society. Now I'm not usually that traditional, but in this case, it doesn't seem to be a bad thing to wait until they're actually here. Again, it's that feeling of not wanting to count chickens (or babies) until they're hatched (born).



When I'm shopping for maternity clothes, I catch myself asking about return policies and thinking about if I could still wear certain items even if I weren't pregnant - what is wrong with me?? IVF robs us of so many things and I can't help but think about the "what if". It sure would be nice to float along on a sea of pregnancy hormones, blissfully ignorant of the things that could go wrong, secure in the knowledge that you could get pregnant "just like that" again if you had to.


Part of me wonders if this is somehow connected to my early childhood learnings, that life is just darn hard. Maybe I'm making this pregnancy out to be hard for no reason...I've often wondered if my need to make this hard is tied to my inability to give up the nausea. I seem to cling to the nausea, not wanting to give it up as it provides constant reassurance that there is something going on down there. Maybe I'll be able to give it up when I really start showing.

Anyhoo...enough heavy stuff.



In terms of how I'm feeling, the medication has virtually eliminated my nausea. I still stuggle to eat meat (to which everyone keeps reminding me how vegetarians give birth to healthy children all the time) and I do get occasional twinges of nausea here and there but I am doing a lot better than I was. My lower abdomen is really firm too - I tenderly press a little here and there and wonder when I will feel an aswering push from the other side. It's still a little early to feel movement but I am waiting for that day when I can feel what is going on inside.



I may not be putting on too much weight but I am certainly retaining water and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. How do I know about the retaining water thing? Simple - I've had to grease my ring finger every day to get my engagement/wedding rings on and off. My hands feel kind of swollen in the mornings too and my shoes have begun to get a little tight. I figure I will eventually have to stop wearing my rings but I just love them and not wearing them is really strange for me. A small sacrifice to make though.



Feeling full is a completely different sensation too. My stomach has migrated north and when I feel full now, it's a feeling of being stretched tight across the lower ribcage area rather than deep in the abdomen.



I've been negotiating to extend my contract by a month or two just to make sure I have enough hours to qualify for maternity leave benefits. I think they may have some work for me but I haven't gotten the details nor have I gotten the official word. It's hopeful though that I will be able to get the mat leave benefits so that's good. I break into a sweat thinking about how our expenses will be changing with the coming of the twins so any money is a good thing.



Finally, I leave you with a photo of the sweetest things. My friend, L, stopped over on her way to London, UK and gave the babies their first gift. I'm okay that it's before they're actually here and she specifically asked me if it would be okay (and yes, I did squash the feeling of disbelief that accompanied the question) . I don't see her that often and it is so sweet of her to want to give us something so I thought "why not?" Maybe this will make it a little more real for us. It was just too sweet and yes, they're handmade and soft as buttercream frosting:

The pink one (and yes, that's a teeny tiny bow on top of the hat!):

The purple one (the hat is laid flat so you can check out the bow!):


Thanks L - this is what my babies will be wearing for the 1 month party!

5 comments:

DAVs said...

I wish you could float along on those pregnancy hormones blissfully too--Lord knows you worked hard enough to get where you are! Those outfits are adorable!!!
I'm glad you're feeling better on the meds. You know, you can try to get protein in other ways--nuts, beans, eggs...I don't know if any of that appeals to you...
I want to see a belly pic!

Meant to be a mom said...

What sweet outfits. I love them. I'm glad your feeling better with the meds. And just so that know I too was very scared to start shopping, I didn't take a single tag off of Coopers clothes until we brought him home from the hospital. Its normal I think to be afraid. My prayers are with you guys though.

JJ said...

Glad you're feeling better with the meds. Nausea is a terrible thing and it invades every aspect of life... Those outfits are gorgeous! I know exactly how you feel with the disbelief - I still have it too. We had a shower and I admit that the gifts are still all packed up in their bags and weve done nothing with them yet. We opened them at the shower and then put them back in the bags. I am too terrified to jinx things. I think these feelings are normal but it's a crying shame that IVF robs us of alot of the joys of pregnancy.

Sue said...

I know how you feel. Yesterday, after my appointment, my mom was saying how things have changed with all the knowledge we have an how she was just blissfully ignorant that anything could ever go wrong with her pregnancy...believe it or not, this made me b**chy. Oh well...I wish IVF and the m/c's didn't rob us of this optimism, but it will all be alright in the end.

I love the outfits!!! The bows are so cute. Also -I'm glad things are going so well now! Soon, you will feel your babies moving inside and then see their impact outside and you will have no doubt that it is real:-) It just takes time...or so they tell me.

Linda said...

I totally know what you're going through about not getting anything ready. We didn't start buying things until just a couple of weeks ago - well into my 3rd trimester - but then it's only the bare minimum. Like you said, we are crippled by the fear. I didn't have a baby shower either and I haven't bought any maternity clothes. Some days, it still feels like a dream and I'm afraid to wake up.

As far as retaining water, I've been told to drink lots of water to try to flush the excess water out of your body. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But it does work.

I haven't been able to eat anything but fruits this whole time. And I've been concerned about the protein intake as well. I just can't stomach any sort of meats now. My doctors told me to drink protein shakes. If you're interested, I could give you a smoothie recipe that my OB told me.

Hang in there. Hugs!