Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ultrasounds Make Me Nervous & First Belly Shots

This coming Wednesday is our big 20 week anatomical scan and I am already starting to freak out a little. In hindsight, I haven't slept well the night before our other planned u/s and I seem to recall that I start feeling more nauseated right before as well.

See, I can logically explain what is going on...controlling it is another matter entirely. What I think is happening is that I worry about what we are/are not going to see. My oh so powerful subconcious mind is clinging to the nausea, making it stronger than the medication, just so I have some sort of "proof" that I am still pregnant. I haven't thrown up again yet but I am struggling again with meat and some meals just aren't going down as well anymore. My mild gagging has also come back but overall, I am still doing better than I was off medication but I am completely convinced that it's the worry about the upcoming u/s that has me nauseated again.

Some of the crazy questions I think are:
  1. Are both of them still in there?

  2. Did one of them disappear?

  3. Do they both have heartbeats?

  4. Are they still growing okay?

  5. Is one growing faster than the other and making the other one starve?

  6. Is that just discharge or am I leaking amniontic fluid?
Two nights ago I had a little mini freak out on the phone with my BFF (who is used to my craziness and talked me down quite calmly and rationally). I read in that What to Expect book (terrible, awful book) about people already starting to feel movement at the 18 week mark and since I am 19 weeks and haven't felt a thing, that got me concerned that I wasn't really carrying around babies but just two little figments of my imagination. I am not that big yet (still) and another pregnant coworker who is just 1 week ahead of me and expecting a singleton is *bigger* than I am. I know - it's not a competition but I can't help but compare and use it as a guideline as to how I'm doing. After all, I'm pretty sure she got pregnant the "normal way" whereas I didn't so I need to constantly reassure myself that my pregnancy is "normal" in its own way.

I also still have the amazing disapearing/reappearing belly. In the morning, there isn't much to look at. Some days I even convince myself that it's almost flat! At night however, after my 6 meals, my belly does seem to pop out more. You be the judge of that:

This shot was taken this morning...(19w1d)



...and this one was taken this evening after dinner...



My DH laughed...he doesn't think there is much of a difference but I think there is. Sigh - must remember not to blog while having a surge of pregnancy hormones.

Thank you to everyone who commented about the "leakiness"...makes me feel a little more like everyone else. No one else ever mentioned anything about this issue so I was really feeling like it was just me! I didn't see it referenced anywhere in the aforementioned awful resource book either and I started to think that if it's not there, than it must not be that common at all but you all proved me wrong! Yay fellow bloggers!

This Tuesday night we also start our prenatal classes at the hospital. We were wait listed for a special prenatal class for people expecting multiples and then finally got in so it will be really interesting to hear what they have to say and to meet some other people. I am going to be hard pressed not to compare tummy sizes with others around the same gestational age so I keep reminding myself that this is not a competition!

I have also bravely made my first foray into Babies R Us to start the research on the kind of stroller that we want to get and all the gear that you need to transport babies around these days. Man this stuff is expensive!! We also belong to a buyer's club and will be able to take advantage of the ability to buy without a retail markup so we are going to make good use of our membership this year. I was quite surprised how heavy some of the strollers were and I ran into another woman with twins who said that most infant strollers can't be taken with you when flying as most airlines will not allow them since they're too big/bulky/heavy. All good stuff to know but there is definitely more research to do before we buy. Besides, it still feels too early.

Anyway, that's about it for me now. Three days to go until the u/s...

11 comments:

ME! said...

YEAH!! Belly Shots are awesome. :) I can tell a difference in the second shot, but it isn't too noticable (as I say after I SAY that I can notice it..LOL!) I will be sending good thoughts out your way for the US. GOOD LUCK

Kate said...

You're definitely looking pregnant. The smaller belly may just be that you've got way better abdominal muscle tone than your coworker. If I suck in my gut, I don't have much of a bump at 21w2d, but look darn pg if I let it all hang out.
I'm sure all will be fine during your scan. I hope your babies cooperat and give up all the necessary shots. I get nervous before scans too (about my cervical length), and I think it's totally normal.

Jill M. said...

KayJay, you're finally sharing a belly bump photo, yeah! Very cute bump!!! I can't wait to look like that! So 20 wk u/s coming up, how exciting, I can't wait to hear all about it!

My 1st u/s is 8 days away and I'm dying to see if there is really something in there! The wait is horrible.

Can't wait to read your next update!

Unknown said...

Your belly is adorable. I didn't show show until around 30 weeks if that comforts you in any way. I kept wondering where my belly was as well. I will keep you and the little ones in my prayers, but I think Wednesday will end up being and exciting and happy day.

Sue said...

I was so excited to see a belly pic of you! You look great! I do see a difference between the morning and evening pics...and I experienced the same thing...wondered if it was gravity,or calories, or poop, lol. I would definitely say that you should get purchasing! It is so much fun...and I think more fun to do before you are miserable and huge (though I still wonder if I will just be one of those "I didn't know I was pregnant" people who never fully show, lol.) I'm posting a pic today (24 w) so want feedback too:-)

I still freak out about u/s's too and I have a doppler and hear her hb literally an hour before the appointment. I still hold my breath, look at my DH and only then look at the screen. I'm sure all is well...I hope your babies cooperate with the u/s!!!

Kris said...

Woohoo for the belly pic!:):) I can tell a difference between the two pictures for sure. GL at your u/s! It will be so fun to see both babies and how they interact with each other while in-utero.

Texas said...

Just a cautionary note-be sure to tell your nurse/dr of any leakage, even if you think it's just bladder. You don't want to miss out on if they would need to check for amniotic fluid. Don't mean to worry you at all-I'm sure that's not the case here-just a note for future reference. Best wishes-

DAVs said...

ADORABLE belly shots!!! I love seeing them..I am just having to imagine your face :)

JJ said...

Good luck today! Lovely pictures of your belly!

Emily said...

20w?!? Seriously? Time is flying! You look amazing!!!

Allison said...

awww, cute belly!

How exciting!