Friday, October 23, 2009

Embarassing Question

So I've talked about many, very personal things on this blog - uteruses, sperm, therapy, etc. but I'm kind of embarassed about this next thing. However, curiousity has gotten the better of me and I'm going throw this question out there and see what comes back.

So here it is.

Has anyone ever lost a little bladder control when sneezing/coughing/throwing up? I never had this problem pre-pregnancy but it seems to be something I have to watch out for these days. In the split second before I sneeze/cough/throw up I have to remember to clench my muscles down there or else I just lose it...a tiny bit. I thought this was supposed to happen *after* the babies are born, not before! Either that or I guess I just have very weak Keigel muscles.

I seem to be carrying very low too so I don't know if it's just the way that everything is positioned...maybe the babies are sitting directly on top of my bladder and the weight is making me leakier than normal???

Anyone else?

7 comments:

BFromM said...

Yes, and it got worse as the pregnancy progressed. I ended up wearing the liners for "light incontinece" or something like that.

Kate said...

I wear liners for my progesterone suppositories anyhow. I don't think I've lost any urine yet, but I do know that it's common. I'd think just changes in your bladder's position or angle of the uretrhra coming off could make the sphincters that normally hold in your urine less competent. I doubt it'll go away pre-delivery, sorry to say...

elliej said...

I have, and have had for the past 12 months, that problem when I sneeze ( and when I run which is a highly unusual event) - and am not pregnant!! A friend of mine in NZ had the same issue during pregnancy and was resolved on doing some procedure - but have heard nothing since, will update when I ask her. Stock up on the pantyliners and rest assured this is normal xxx

Tamara said...

it's normal and happens because of the added weight and pressure on your bladder from your pregnancy :)

Sue said...

It happened to me the other day! And, a few girls in my due date group have this happen more frequently than I too...so I think it is totally normal...but not fun! Oh, and thank you for listing that CD for baby noises:-) I ordered it yesterday since DH and I thought it was a great idea!

JJ said...

In a word, yes. It happens to me even when I'm not doing anything.... I think it's the weight of the babies on your bladder. I've heard that this happens to almost everyone in pregnancy. I wear a thin carefree liner every day.

Meant to be a mom said...

yes this totally happned to me when I was pg. You aren't weird, I think its really common.