Monday, September 21, 2009

Update Slacking

Yes, I have been slacking lately. Put it down to nausea, tiredness and work. Not complaining - those are just the facts. To post a very quick update, I'm going to post in bullet points to make it faster. Here goes.


  • we came out of the closet to our family and some friends! The reaction of my MIL was absolutely fantastic and made up for my disappointment over the reaction from my own parents. She said that no matter what, she would be here to help us and that if she had to, she would hire someone to help at her restaurant while she took care of us. Nothing is going to stop her from coming!! She's the best. My own sister started screaming in excitement when I told her that we were expecting - I wasn't quite sure how she was going to react as I know she is quietly struggling with secondary IF herself and I know how hard "announcements" can be.
  • worked like crazy last week - I normally work in an office 15 minutes from my home as I am not crazy about commuting but last week I had to drive out to a smaller city which meant a 3 hour round trip each day for 3 days in a row.
  • commuting 3 hours/day for 3 days triggered an extreme nausea attack on my birthday (boo!) so I spent it leaned over a toilet
  • broke down and started taking the anti-nausea drug called Diclectin. This drug is only available in Canada and is made up of a combination of vitamin B6 and something else which is essentially an antihistamine. I threw up my first dose but have been able to keep subsequent doses down so I am slowly beginning to feel better. Side effects are dizziness and tiredness.
  • I wanted so much to control my nausea through more natural means but I am not putting on weight still and am at -5lbs to my pre-pregnancy weight which is starting to worry me. So, I started taking the medication. The thing too about Diclectin is that you have to take it continuously in order for it to be effective so it's not as if you can just pop a pill here and there as required.
  • shopped for the very first time in a maternity store - yikes!! What an experience that was!! We have substantially less selection here in Canada, the main store being Thyme Maternity and their stuff, while nice, is pretty pricey considering you're going to wear it for a few months. Still, I enjoyed the experience although I don't look yet like I belong. They had a specially shaped pillow you could put into your maternity pants so you could see how they would fit when you're bigger and WOW was it ever strange to see what I will look like in a few months!! However, it helped me to have a visual picture of what I will look like as I have never been able to picture that before in my mind.
  • started planning purchases for the babies - we're looking into strollers, rocking chairs and car seats and my DH is looking into getting a snow blower. We have to start car shopping too and will likely get out test driving this weekend
  • still worry about telling people although I am not over 14 weeks along. Still scared about m/c
  • had some weird spotting - a dark yellow, light caramel colour, definitely not red. Not sure if this is from the bleed we had during weeks 5-7 but will mention to the doctor tomorrow
  • had what I think are round ligament pains - these are like menstrual cramps and are caused by the stretching of your uterus and the ligaments that hold it in place. Mine were dull and achy in nature and lasted for several hours at a time accompanied by low back pain. Did it worry me - you betcha it did! They're gone today but it was bothering me Friday and Saturday for most of each day off and on.

That's it for now - a quickie!

5 comments:

DAVs said...

Thanks for updating us! I'm glad things are going so well--well, minus the puking on your birthday :(

Enjoy all that planning and shopping and post a picture of yourself soon!

Kris said...

I am so glad you updated us:) Just yesterday I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing.

So glad everything is going good and I hope that nasea goes away soon!

Sue said...

I'm laughing b/c one of our big baby purchases this fall is....a snowblower! lol. Since I can't help this winter and we get lake effect snow (aka, feet of snow overnight), this is a must-have for poor hubby!

Since you are having twins, you will be growing so much faster than me which means in the next few weeks, get ready for some SERIOUS round ligament pain. Yesterday, it hurt the entire day and if I dared to stand up too fast, I was in serious pain. I think you are in the safe zone, but we will always worry...its just what this journey has taught us.

I am so happy that things went well with your announcement. Enjoy the shopping!

JJ said...

So nice to see your update. I'm the worst slacker ever, haven't updated my blog for ages. I really need to do it. I hear you on the fatigue.... Regarding maternity clothes, have you considered Gap and Old Navy maternity stuff you can buy online? They are pretty cheap and you don't even have to bother going out to shop :-). I bought a few things online and am happy with them.

Yep, those pains are scary and you'll have more of them, if you're anything like me. Those little beans seems to have growth spurts and then you can really feel it. But if you feel anything weird I'd still consult the doctor. I was monitored at L&D for really bad abdominal pain that lasted several days. Not sure what it was but it was different to normal - now gone away, but it caused irritable uterus. I hate calling the doctor and being a fussy patient but I still do it with anything that seems off.

Hua said...

You have great posts, and many enjoy getting updates of your journey.

Thank you for being an active voice in the pregnancy and fertility community. I am the Director of Blogger Relations at Wellsphere and I believe that you would be a valued resource in our HealthBlogger Network, which currently has over 2,600 of the best health writers on the web.

I think you should have your voice heard by over 6 million monthly visitors who come to Wellsphere's website to seek information on a variety of health related topics, including pregnancy. We would like to raise the awareness of pregnancy and fertility, and connect you and other people who are in similar situations. Through Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, you can engage with others to lend a helping hand for one another.

For more information about joining, please visit http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks