Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Week in Review

I am 10w1 day today and this is the furthest I've ever made it. Every week is another milestone...well, every day is another milestone really.



The nausea has continued to come with a fierceness some days but then it's not so bad other days. It's hard to know what kind of day it's going to be - I can wake up feeling just fine and by the time I make it downstairs to eat breakfast, I will have a full on nausea attack making every single bite very hard. Did you know how big an apple can grow to when your stomach is rolling?! Of course, I have my trusty side kick with me (Daisy) who is more than willing to eat the scraps! Meat is still a no-go for the most part unless it is hidden very well under piles of breading or a bun. Gluten free is right out the window. I've also been having talks with the two little ones, asking them to please tell me what they want to eat because I'm just trying to feed the two of them. Last night, they got me out of bed at 10pm because my stomach started to rumble since I skipped my 9pm snack in favour of going to bed early. It was a clear message - eat a snack now or we're going to wake you up at 4am to go eat!!!



We had an ultrasound on Friday and we got to see the babies again which was a relief. We haven't seen them since our last u/s at 7 weeks and I do wonder if they're both still there and doing okay, especially since my nutrition isn't that great some days. One baby measured exactly 10 weeks with a hb of 164 and the other one was at 9w6d with a hb of 175. Both normal. Both there. Both doing okay. The u/s tech had a hard time getting a good look at one of the babies because they were moving around and "playing" according to her - how cool is that? They're already moving around and playing with each other! I hope that this means they're going to be the best of friends. I felt very much like Rachael on Friends when she was looking at an u/s picture of Emma and couldn't see the baby...I was pointing at the picture, asking if I was looking at the head and the u/s tech said "No, that's the bum. This is the head"! Same thing with the other baby lol. So without further ado, here are our babies' first picture:







I cut my hair too for donation to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, the charitable program that makes wigs for women who suffer from cancer. This is the second time I've done it and I've been growing my hair for a year and finally just barely had the 8" required, so I chopped it all off. I haven't felt like a contributing member of society for the last 7 years to be honest with you admist all this IF business and by doing this, I feel like I am contributing back to society in a small way. Anyone can do it - no special skills required. You just have to be willing to care for your hair while it grows. My hair is now so short (she cut the ponytails and my first thought was "OMG I look like a boy") but my DH was so sweet and told me that my hair now looks like Rihanna's. Mine is definitely not as cool as her hair but it was totally sweet of DH to tell me that.

And speaking of DH, can I just say how awesome he has been since I have gotten pregnant? He is the best, most awesome guy and he has treated me like nothing short of a queen. Some examples of why he is such a great guy and why he is going to make such a great Dad:
  1. I have not picked up dog poop for 5 weeks
  2. He has completely taken over cooking and making meals
  3. He will often make me two or three things at meal times to try and tempt my palate and won't cringe when I turn down option after option
  4. He packs my lunch every day when I go to work
  5. He's taken over cleaning the house and anything chemical related so I don't get exposed - this even translated to him removing the nail polish on my toes because he didn't want me to be touching the nail polish remover :)
  6. He carries anything heavy for me...well, really, he will carry anything for me, even my purse
  7. He's always there to give me a hug, rub my back and tell me that everything is going to be okay, especially when I'm not feeling that great
  8. He drives me everywhere I need to go to make sure I am not getting too tired

I could go on, but he is just the most wonderful man and we are so very lucky to have him in our lives. Thanks honey - you're the BEST!!

Speaking of how wonderful my DH is, I am going to leave you all with a funny story of something that happened this past week. I was watching re-runs of one of my favourite shows, How I Met Your Mother, and the last 5 minutes of the episode I was watching reduced me to tears. Not just tears mind you...the sobbing, hands on my face kind of crying that my DH hear from upstairs. He came flying down the stairs, pulled up a chair right next to mine and asked me what was wrong and why I was crying so hard. I just pointed to the TV screen and managed to choke out "Lilly....and Marshall....." He took one look at the TV and burst out laughing - I laughed too because I knew how ridiculous it was that I was crying over the episode but then I started crying again. Hormones eh? [For those of you HIMYM fans, it is the episode where Marshall isn't going to meet Lilly at the airport but then decides to in the end and brings along a marching band that plays "Auld Lang Syne" so they can re-do New Year's even properly - once the first few notes of the song started playing I was blubbering away!]

I have my first u/s with my new OB on Sept 8th so we'll be looking forward to seeing the babies then.

9 comments:

Jill M. said...

Congratulations on an exciting milestone! The American babes are just so cute already. Your dh sounds a lot like mine, we surely are blessed aren't we! Can't wait to hear your next update!

ME! said...

um, I cry like that I am not pregnant. I am doomed. I am growing my hair out also!!I have done it twice for Locks of Love, and doing it this time in honor of my friend who is 32 and battleing breast cancer. I think it is awesome that you did it too!

{{HUGS}}

DAVs said...

Wow you are really zipping along! I love the new blog title, too :)
Did you ever find out: identical or fraternal?
Your DH sounds exactly like the way I would expect mine to behave with a pregnant me...he's just that way. In that regard, don't we feel so lucky?

kayjay said...

DAVs,

Sorry - I did find out and our twins are fraternal. We saw two yolk sacs, two gestational sacs so they are definitely fraternal. It's so hard to believe because they weren't graded the best so it goes to show you that you never know. Your DH sounds as sweet as mine so yes, we are extremely lucky!

Sue said...

Your DH is so sweet! I'm glad things are going so well!!! Oh, I'm doing the hair thing on Sept 8th but I keep thinking I'll put it off...I have just barely enough for the required 10" that locks of love needs and it will leave me with a shoulder-brushing bob, I hope. Really not sure. Think I'll put it off another month or so!!!

Sue said...

BTW -I hope your experience with the lower graded embryo situation makes them rethink tossing those embies! It kills me that I never asked what my discareded ones were graded! But, all water under the bridge...

Meant to be a mom said...

first of all Congrats on 10 weeks! Also waht a great DH. Tell him good job from your blogging buddies. It makes life so much more enjoyable during pregnancy to be blessed with a wonderful hubby.
Also thats soooo sweet of you to donate your hair for real wigs. I love that you did that. Very special of you. Somebody is going to be very blessed by that gesture that you did. :)

Hope you have a great week with the twinkies growing stronger and bigger by the week.

JJ said...

Yay, the babes look lovely. So glad to read that all is well. Sorry about the nausea... I know it all too well. I'm impressed with your DH - sounds like a fab guy! Erm, about the crying - I'm there with you. I cried my eyes out for Andy Roddick when he lost against Federer at Wimbledon and I really don't care about a. tennis and b. Andy Roddick. I cry at alot of other things, but I think that one was the most ridiculous. I was mortified in front of my DH.....

Kris said...

Wooohoo! It sounds like everything is going really well:) Your DH is so sweet too. My DH is the same way and trys to help out anywhere he can so that I can rest more often.