Thursday, January 28, 2010

Moved to a Private Room

I'm tired of sounding like a Drama Queen or a Negative Nelly and really, at this point, I am so happy to be in a private room (I was in a semi-private room before). The situation and circumstances that got me here...well, not so great. However, silver lining and positivity first though - I'm in a private room for now!

Our health coverage is only for semi-private rooms and the cost difference between semi and private rooms is $100 per day which would be all OOP for us. I figured if I was here for 4 weeks, that would be at least $2,800, money I would much rather spend on a vacation somewhere with my DH and the kids, not on a hospital room.

Up to now, I've had a wonderful roommate until 2 nights ago when she had a c-section. I know the hospital is a 24 hour operation but she left the room at around dinnertime and the cleaning staff didn't come in until after midnight to clean her side of the room. They turned on all the lights, made lots of noise...hard to ignore that kind of commotion three feet away. Then, they actually checked someone in at 2am in the morning and that new person just had a c-section herself. Now my understanding is that, as a rule, they don't mix pregnant women with women who have had babies but they were so full that they didn't have a choice since they were out of beds. This new roommate was awful. She and her DH stayed in the room, made all sorts of noise moving in and banging into my bed among other things, conversed in normal tones and turned on the TV and left it on all night. Then, the next morning, she was making phone calls at full volume at 7:45am and even turned up the volume on the TV. By this point, having only had a few hours of sleep (and after my bleeding episode the previous night), I was completely irritated and annoyed. I barely got any sleep at all and I was tired and cranky.

I did feel sorry for her because hers was an emergency c-section and her son was just 1lb 9oz and 4 months pre-mature so he will have a long stay in the NICU (neo-natal intensive care unit). However, that doesn't give her the right to be so inconsiderate of others. We are all in the hospital for a reason. I just kept to myself for the morning, hoping and praying that someone was going to be discharged and she would be moved out of the room. By midday, I was starting to feel guilty about feeling so cranky and anti-social and I almost went over to introduce myself but I kept on hearing her DH coughing and then I heard her Mother say that she herself was not feeling well (scratchy throat - feels a cold coming on). Kept the curtains closed. After all, the doctors keep telling me that the biggest risk for the girls and I was the risk of infection and the last thing I want to pick up is a cold.

Early afternoon, a nurse came by to tell me that I was being put into isolation because my roommate was experiencing symptoms of nausea, diarrhea and vomiting (can we say Norwalk?). By being in the same room as her, she had potentially exposed me to any virus or bacteria she herself may have had. I know she did not deliberately do this and that the hospital was full but man was I steamed and my first priority was get away from her as I needed to makes sure I remained infection and virus free. Both of us were then isolated (separately) and that is how I ended up moving into a private room temporarily. Needless to say, I had the best sleep of my life last night and I feel much better this morning.

I'm not sure how long I'll be in a private room as a person from Infectious Disease Control just came in this morning and cleared me so I will likely be moved back into a semi-private room when one becomes available. It was good while it lasted but I could do without any more of those scares. So, grateful for the private room (and the window!) but hoping not to be exposed to any more awful roommates. My DH is also bringing me some ear plugs tonight so hopefully it won't matter how awful they are in the future.

7 comments:

Kris said...

OMG, that sounds horrible! I can't believe that she was so inconsiderate. And I am surprised that after her emergency c-section she felt like being up and about and making so much noise in the middle of the night! Especially with the pain meds they give you after a c-section.

I am so glad they moved you, even if only temporarily! I hope that they stay full and that you get a couple more nights in a private room. And I certainly hope that the hospital picks up the $100/day tab on the private room since they put you with someone who could have been harmful to you and your babies.

Sue said...

What a mess! I'm glad you got a little time in isolation, but what a disaster! People are so rude! I think they should leave you in a private room for at least one more night so that you can relax a little after that disaster!

Jill M. said...

How rude of her!!! I would have been pretty cranky myself. Where did she get all this energy after an e-c/s?

As for illness, I find myself getting mad at anyone that coughs/sneezes near me in public. I try to hold my breath and get away as soon as possible. It's amazing how many people don't even cover their mouth/nose and just spread it to everyone in the vicinity. Or they cough right in their hand and then put that same hand on a door knob. It's stressful trying to keep from catching something.

So anyway, so glad you got some isolation time and I hope you get to keep the room for the rest of the time. Rest up mama!

lastchanceivf said...

That is so awful!
Do not worry about sounding negative--you have been through the wringer and I think it sucks to ever have to have a semi-private room, especially with rude roommates.

Hoping you get to stay all nice and private for a long time!!

Lost in Space said...

Yikes, how is a girl stuck on bed rest supposed to actually rest with all that?! Hope your private digs stay that way for awhile!

Kate said...

Earplugs are a godsend. Glad you haven't gotten sick yet and that you and the babies are doing well. Hang in there!

R. said...

I can't believe that they would put you in your fragile state with a woman who just gave birth. How awful! On the plus- a private room with a window sounds lovely. Hopefully it will last!