Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Update From the Hospital and Thoughts On Becoming A Parent

The high risk obstetrical team makes rounds every day and checks in on all of the patients here. Today, I asked the question regarding how likely it would be that I would be able to carry the girls to term (i.e. 37 weeks for twins). Right now I am 31w2d. The doctor making rounds that day advised me that in cases such as mine with a ruptured membrane, they usually don't like to go beyond 34 weeks as their belief is that the risk of infection at that point outweighs the benefits of carrying longer. So if I'm lucky, I will carry for another 3 weeks at most. My regular OB (who also runs a high risk practice) will come in to discuss with me what we are going to do but I have yet to see him on rounds. I was also told that it is not just the first 48 hours that matter after a rupture - it is the first week after a rupture when most women will go into labour. If I make it past this Friday, than I have a good shot of carrying for a little longer.

The thought of delivering a 34 weeks frightens me. I'm not sure why and I've been trying to figure out what it is that I find so scary. Random thoughts are:
  • I'm afraid that the health of my little girls will be compromised at such early gestation and they may have to spend an extended amount of time in the NICU
  • there may be long-term effects on the health of my girls being born so early
  • I'm scared about actually becoming a parent & I feel some days very woefully inadequate and unprepared
  • I'm scared about the pain of labour and what may happen (i.e. epidural, emergency c-section) and my ability to make good choices under stressful circumstances
  • this is likely the only time in my life that I will be pregnant and I feel that if I don't carry to term, that means that I didn't do a good job of having a healthy pregnancy
When I look back on Friday, the one thing that struck me is the unshakable feeling that the girls were not supposed to arrive that day - it was just too early. I was envisioning the worst where we would lose one or both of them and that it was all spiraling out of our control. I have since been reassured many times that their prognosis even at 31 weeks is excellent and survival rates are in the range of 90% and above but you never know what could happen and I was just so afraid. To short change them 6 weeks in utero seemed like such a long time during which they would have learned valuable lessons such as breathing and sucking (two of the last skills they learn in utero before being born). In addition, with our roots in IF, you know all too well the feeling of not falling into the majority and I can't help but to look at the "what if" of falling in the 10% as opposed to the 90%.

I wasn't clear as well if there would be long-term implications of being born so early. They were going to be so teeny tiny and at last check, they were hovering around 3.5lbs each which seemed so big at the time but so small if they were born right then and there. I was thinking that 3.5lbs was a great start if they were going to double their weight by 37 weeks but as an actual birth weight, I would like to see them in the 5lb range at least. However, that being said, I have since heard stories and have been greatly encouraged by all of you sharing your stories about your preemies (thanks Andrea!) that have more than made it and have done really well. I just want to make sure they get the best possible start in this world.

After everything that IF put us through, I thought that I was more than ready to become a parent but the closer that day comes, the more I realize that it's something that stresses me out. You see, I think of our little girls as these beautiful blank slates and it is up to my DH and I to teach them what they need to know. They're so innocent. We all start out with the best intentions but there are so many dysfunctional families out there...how do we know we're not going to turn into one of those? At what point are good intentions not enough? I have had several nightmares here and there throughout my pregnancy from which I have woken up in tears that tell me that this is something that is weighing on my subconscious. What kind of family will we be able to create for these two precious girls? Don't get me wrong - I think my DH is going to make a wonderful father and I hope that we will be able to raise our girls so that they are happy and secure in the knowledge that they are wanted and loved. I just worry that something may be lost in the execution of our good intentions, that's all.

Labour and delivery is also a big unknown for me. We're trying to hire a doula (labour coach) since both girls are still presenting head down and I am very hopeful that we will be able to delivery vaginally rather than through c-section (and avoid all of the issues with keloid scarring). I'm hoping that a doula will allay my fears and be able to provide us with information as we need it through the birthing process. For some reason, I am also not comfortable with having an epidural - just the thought of having someone poking around in my spine gives me the shivers. However, at my hospital, it is standard protocol for someone having multiples to have an epidural in the event that medical intervention may become necessary. I will also be giving birth in the OR rather than a birthing room for the same reason - just in case medical intervention becomes necessary. I know that this is a natural process and that it happens all the time but it has never happened to me so I wonder what it is going to be like when it eventually does happen.

Anyway, that's what has been rattling around in my brain today. See what happens when I have too much time on my hands?

10 comments:

Meant to be a mom said...

Wow, I am praying for you guys!!!

I understand the worry for your girls. All you can do is pray. I will be doing the same. As far as becoming a mom, you already are. All the worrying, your ready trust me. Its the best most rewarding gift from God ever and no matter how stressed you get those girls will never be a burden they will just be an adjustment.
The delivery will hopefully be one that isn't too painful or anything crazy.
Keep us updated.

Sue said...

I think all of these worries are totally normal. My DH asks me all the time now, "are you ready to be a momma?" and it is funny...I kind of reply, "I think so" (said in a very uncertain voice). When we started TTC, I know I was nervous about raising a child...but then the TTC became the huge focus and it was impossible to consider WHEN we got pregnant in the obsessions about IF we got pregnant (or if we were ever gonna get pregnant), you know? So, it is on our minds too...but, and this is my Type-B personality coming forward, it is what it is. You already have all of these concerns meaning you are going to do the best you can and give this baby everything! and, really, all a baby really needs is a lot of love - and you guys have that! You will be great parents - not perfect - but great (there is no such thing as a perfect parent)!

I'm afraid I can't help with the L & D nerves. As it gets closer, the great unknown of it all makes me a little nervous. I just keep trying to say that it isn't in my hands. My baby will have more control over her birth than I will! And then the doctors, nurses, etc. It is totally out of our hands but they will do the best for us. Hang in there. Soon you will be able to meet your sweet little, wiggly girls!

Linda said...

I had the same worries and still do, even though our son is already here. We're so afraid to mess up that we're stressing out about every little thing. Oh how I wish that I could just go with the flow but my type A personality prevents me from doing that. All you can do is your best and trust that it's what's best for your children and your family. Oh and I pray a lot, more than I ever have before. Each time I'm breastfeeding, I make a cross on his cute little forehead and just pray - prayer of thanksgiving, prayer for guidance, prayer for health, etc. I wish I could take my own advice but try to relax and enjoy the final weeks of your pregnancy and enjoy your babies once they do get here. Leave the worrying at the door. Ya'll are gonna make great parents!!!

Love ya,
Linda

Kate said...

Sounds like things are going pretty well. I sure hope you get another 3 weeks out of the pregnancy! I've been told that outcomes for babies born at 34 weeks are the same as babies born at full term. I'm a 34-weeker myself, and though I spent a few initial days in the NICU to gain weight again (I was only about 5lb), there really wasn't anything wrong with me. And (not to brag, but to reassure you) I was top in my graduating class in high school, one of the top engineering students at my university, and survived med school without too much stress. Nothing much wrong with me health-wise either, aside from the infertility issues!
I'm sure your girls will be fine and reach their full potential if you make it to 34 weeks. Chances are great that they won't have any major issues if you even make it to 32 weeks.
I haven't met a patient yet who wasn't happy they got me to give them an epidural. Don't let it freak you out too much. I want to avoid one because I've got one baby in there and because I have control issues and don't want someone else doing it for me. If I could give myself one on the other hand, I might consider it! I'm not opposed to getting one either, so if labour isn't going quickly and I'm getting tired, I may well ask for one. Major complications are exceedingly rare, and shocking in the healthy pregnant patient. I quote the most common thing being a 1 in 200 chance of getting an accidental dural puncture and likely developing a horrible headache post delivery. There are treatments if it happens to you though.
I'd bet most of us getting close to delivery are starting to have similar fears about not being good enough. Somehow I think we'll all be fine though. At least these babies are wanted and loved from the get-go. That's a big leg up vs lots of other children in the world.

Sky said...

Of course I hope you'll carry them as long as possible but, truly, I think 34 weeks is MUCH MORE than fine. If I could be assured of a 34 week delivery, I'd take it - in a heartbeat! 6 weeks early is just not that early. The girls will be perfect, you'll see.

Now, the anxiety over becoming a mom, that one I can understand VERY well so I can't help you with it. :)

lastchanceivf said...

I think if you weren't worried about being a new parent (of twins no less!) that would be a bad sign. It's the very fact that you are so AWARE that will make you a wonderful mother! I will hope hope hope that the babies stay put for another few weeks and that at 34 weeks the doctors know best and will only recommend what is right for all of you.
Wishing I could give you a pep talk in person, but really, truly, you will do fine! You have so much love to give--those little girls are going to be so lucky!!

Whitney said...

I am not sure how I came upon your blog but wanted to give you some encouragement. My triplets were born at 33 weeks and did great! They never had any health issues and were in the NICU for 3.5 weeks to learn to feed. They will be 4 in April and are very healthy - you would never know they were 33 weekers. Good luck with everything - it sounds like you are doing great.

Anonymous said...

All we can do in this world is do our best - and you are doing that! So keep it up!!! It's hard to be on hospital bedrest and not let your mind obsess and wander to some very dark places. While 3 weeks seems like a long time, just take it day by day. When I was on hospital bedrest I stopped trying to put a goal (date) out there - it was too scary to make a long prediction - I found it more comforting to pray that I would deliver the day when my baby could be delivered safely and healthy. I'm praying the same for your girls and for their momma!

Andrea

Kate said...

Thanks for the comment on the renos. I asked the contractor if they could help reduce the squeaking. He seems to think he can have his guys shore up some of the joist with extra bits of 2x4, glue, and screwing something into the subfloor. I think.
How do you know so much about building??
Hope all's well with you.

prashant said...

The delivery will hopefully be one that isn't too painful or anything crazy

Work from home India