Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Visit From My OB (Finally!)

I finally got to see and speak with my OB yesterday late in the day. He was all dressed up in scrubs so I take it he was between patients at the hospital and took a few minutes to come and see me. He reassured me that he had been monitoring my progress remotely and that he was very happy that we had gotten another 2 weeks gestation after the rupture.

In terms of my burning questions, the number one question was how long was he going to let me go with a ruptured membrane. If you recall, the first doctor I spoke to said a maximum of 34 weeks, the second doctor I spoke with said a minimum of 34 weeks...I just wanted to know where he fell on this 34-37 week continuum because we are talking about a 3 week difference after all. He told me that the longest he would let me go would be 35 weeks and if I didn't go into labour on my own by that point, he would induce by 36 weeks. I asked him if I was doing well and the babies were doing well if we could take it day by day after 36 weeks instead of inducing. He told me that he didn't feel that the risk of going longer would be beneficial because if I were to get an infection at that point, the risk of brain damage to the baby whose sack ruptured was greater than the benefits of remaining in utero. Okay - he had me there...as soon as he said "greater risk of brain damage" I instantly felt more comfortable about induction should it become necessary.

I guess my concerns around being induced is what if these two girls aren't ready to come out and they induce me even though they haven't dropped and my cervix is still long, tight and closed? To me, to be induced under those circumstances sounds like it may result in a long and hard labour during which the babies go into distress and then I'll end up having to have an emergency c-section, something I really want to avoid. I voiced this concern to my doctor and he stated that in his opinion, I would go into labour naturally before then. He also then went on to say that the only reason why he thinks I have been able to carry for so long is because I have ruptured and therefore released some of the pressure in my uterus!! He explained that the bigger my uterus grows, other "receptors" begin to get triggered that will prompt my body to prepare for and go into labour on its own. After all, this is my first close to term pregnancy so nothing has been stretched before and I am basically carrying the equivalent of one 7lb 9oz baby (at last check, weight estimates were 3lbs 14oz & 3lbs 11oz) which is a pretty decent size given I am normally 5' 3" and 130lbs.

At the 35 week mark, it will be Valentine's Day weekend; 36 weeks would put us around February 20th. I hope that I make it that far because I want to minimize the amount of time the girls need to spend in the NICU. During my OB's visit, the Neonatologist also popped in and advised me that no matter when my girls are born (anytime between 33 - 36 weeks), she believes that they will require time in the NICU.

I continue to wonder whether I will know that my body is preparing to go into labour. May women report that they feel that the baby has dropped and they start feeling all sorts of pelvic pressure. A lot of other women report feeling nothing. I am trying to listen to what my body is telling me but at each point when something has happened (subchorionic bleeding, bleeding in 3rd trimester and then the membrane rupture), I have felt perfectly fine and there has been no indication that something out of the ordinary was going to happen. My belly area remains pretty firm most of the time (many nurses have told me that I am "all baby") and my abdominal muscles continue to feel very stretched, almost like I can't stand up straight without pulling something.

Other than that, not much else going on here. Nice and boring, just the way I want it for now! I'm still enjoying the sunshine and the privacy of my own room. We have hired and met with our doula of choice this past week and tomorrow (Sunday), I will be having maternity photos taken at the hospital. That's all for now.

7 comments:

Jill M. said...

I share your concerns regarding induction when the cervix is not ripe. So sending lots of prayers that Lefty and Righty decide to make an appearance on their own at the perfect time. Hugs

Linda said...

I'm so thankful that everything looks good & that you and your precious babies are doing well. I understand your concerns about being induced. I had those same concerns as well. However, I was also concerned about the induction drug (Cytotec). Anyway, I ended up with a C-section. I posted the birth story in my baby blog, which btw I've made it private. I don't know your email address otherwise I'd add you automatically. If you're still interested, leave a comment in my IF blog. :)

Hoping for the best for you and your little girls! Muah!

Kris said...

Woohoo for going two weeks so far! Keep up the good work, Momma! I know that an emergency c-section is not the route you want to go, but it really is not that bad. I had one with Logan and it turned out okay. Either way, you will be meeting your girls in the next couple of weeks!!:):) SO SO SO excited for you:)

Kate said...

Hope that your body does its own thing and goes into labour just at 36 weeks. Glad to hear you're still doing so well two weeks out from the rupture though, and that the babies are behaving.

lastchanceivf said...

I'm so glad you finally got to talk to your own doctor. He sounds very confident in his plan for you, and we will all be pulling for you that there will be no emergency C section.

I can't wait to see your maternity photos--should you decide to post them! I'm sure you are glowing glowing glowing!

Lost in Space said...

It's so good to know and understand the plan that your doctor has for you! I'm hoping the girls decide to start trying to bust out just before you are scheduled to induce...

Hang in there!!

Meant to be a mom said...

I'm glad everyone is doing good. I understand your scared and worried. I would be too. Its not like this is not a big deal, its your children. My prayers are with all of you.
As far as trusting the doctor, really you have no choice, so pray your heart out and trust in your doc. They want the best they can make out of this so they are trying to do whats best.

As far as dropping goes. I did drop before I was induced. Maybe thats why I wasn't in labor very long at all. But I didn't really feel anything. I just noticed that my belly looked lower. I asked my hubby "does the baby bump look low to you" and even he was like, "Ya, I think so". But it wasn't some drastic change.