Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hatchlings

Ahhh snow. Here is a photo of my backyard from this morning with everything blanketed in a fresh layer of snow...notice the hopeful looking BBQ on the left!


As promised, here are some photos of my Easter hatchlings that I was working on today. They turned out to be decent looking but boy are they SWEET...or maybe they taste that way because of my recent attempt to eliminate sugar from my diet!

My ingredients:
1 box of cake mix, 1 can of frosting & eggs (oil and milk not shown)


Lots of sprinkles, dragees, candy corn, dots & candy coated mini chocolates from which I will create my beaks, eyes, feet and ears!


Assorted sprinkes that I used - hearts & stars with some barnyard animals thrown in but not used - I was trying to figure out what I could use for feet but the hearts worked just fine turned upside down.

This was the first time I've ever played with melting candy coating chips and it was fun although some of the colours were very bright - like the pepto bismol pink ones on the left. I had to temper that colour with the white chips on the right but it still ended up being fairly pink!


See what I mean? BRIGHT PINK!


This is what the cake balls look like after the cake has been baked, crumbed and mixed with the can of frosting - I cheated and used my KitchenAid mixer but I tend to use it for everything I can. Love that thing! Of course, there is one of my trusty cookie scoops which made portioning out the cake balls pretty easy.


Drumroll please....introducing a very pink bunny...



...and my first chickie...



...and my second chickie with different eyes...


...and another wascally wabbit...


...and an egg.


They all look a little stunned b/c I couldn't find one of those edible markers to draw on a few more features but I thought they looked pretty good for a first attempt! I packaged them all up in little sucker bags except that a lot of them didn't fit on account of their large behinds. I was lamenting to my DH that all my bunnies and chicks had big butts but then he wispered to me that "some people like that"!!


And just in case you weren't sick of photos yet, here is a close up of some bunnies...


Here's a close up of the chicks and eggs.


There you have it - my attempt at cake balls/cake pops! I hope the kids like them! I'm excited to give them to my nieces and nephews, pump them full of sugar and then send them all home to their parents (snicker snicker). After all, what are Aunts for?

10 comments:

Jill M. said...

Very cute!!! I laughed about you pumping the kids full of sugar and then sending them home.

R said...

OMG! Those look so delectible and super sweet. Yup pump those kids full of sugar and send them home...lol. I too love feeding other peoples kids sugar. To look at the treats you'd never know it was your first time....you are no longer a cake ball virgin...hahaha.

Kris said...

Can you send some to me in MN?:) They look so super yummy and cute too. I sure wish I had the patience to do something like that.

Caz said...

wow they seriously look AMAZING.

Emily said...

OMG! How effing cute are those? You have talent & patience!

Aunts rock :)

DAVs said...

You did AWESOME!
Now move down here so we can open a bakery!

Sue said...

They look GREAT! I seriously love them. Very impressed! Actually did laugh out loud at you pumping the kids full of sugar and sending them on home! Oh, and we had snow yesterday too:-( And so much wind this weekend that our grill blew over! Just too much wishful thinking on our part!

JJ said...

They look great!!! Heeheeee, what a great auntie! The kids will love you. And you don't have to deal with the sugar fall-out. The perks of being an aunt!

ME! said...

HOW FREAKIN' CUTE!! I loved that you said they had stunned looks on their faces. :)

GO YOU!!

Linda said...

Too cute! Be careful about sending the kids home after you pump them full of sugar. Your brother(s)/sister(s) might get you back one day and do the same to you! lol