Friday, April 10, 2009

The Wait is OVER - Microarray Results 3w5d Post Biopsy!!!!!

Yes, you read right - I got "the call" from CCRM today that they received our microarray results in what I think is record time - 3 weeks and 5 days post day 6 biopsy!! My nurse called me today and the funny thing was that I just spoke with her yesterday about our FET protocol and thought she was calling back with my tentative calendar. She shocked me when she told me that she had microarray results for me. We haven't yet spoken with Dr. Schoolcraft who is supposed to call us to talk about the results in more detail but just knowing what the results were was big and my nurse knew I was dying to know and called me as soon as she got them!!! Thanks Dawn!!

Yes I know - stop blabbing on and give out the results. There were:

TWO NORMALS!!!!!!!

I am so cautiously happy and for the first time in a long time, I felt the beginnings of real hope spring from within the depths of my heart. I had almost forgotten how that felt, to feel again that the possibility exists for us, that we, K & J can become parents. Right before she told me, I had a moment of intense fear - was it good? Bad? But then I had to know and I cried when she told me that we had 2 normals!!!

Onto the nitty gritty for those of you who like details like me. As you all know, we had 4 biopsied and vitrified and they were graded with microarray results as follows:

Embryo 1: 5BB, our best graded embryo by far - ABNORMAL

Embryo 2: 2/3, early blast - NORMAL

Embryo 3: 4CB, poor blast - NORMAL

Embryo 4: 2, early blast and also marked as poor quality by lab - ABNORMAL

Here's where the shades of grey come in. I think that they only biopsied Embryo #3, the 4CB one, because we asked them to. I distinctly remember asking the embryologist about this one and Embryo #4 and she told me that they were pretty poor quality and they normally wouldn't have even biopsied them. It is my understanding that they only did so at our request. She cautioned me that those two embryos would likely not make it through the thawing process. I am afraid that means that even though there are two normals, only one is a real contender. Don't get me wrong - I am extremely grateful to have the one and that has more than doubled our chances of success that Dr. Schoolcraft gave us (he estimated for us a 25% chance during our phone consult with him - transferring 1 microarray normal embryo gives us a 65% chance). However, the question remains, is there one or two real contenders here?

I can scarcely believe two normals...it almost seems too good to be true. Remember that it's me we're talking about here - the poor responder with 5 failed IVFs under her belt. Can it really be two normals for us? I'll have to discuss with Dr. Schoolcraft when he calls.

There are so few high moments along this journey so I'm going to bask in the knowledge of 2 normals for the time being. We really couldn't have asked for a better outcome and we are truly grateful.

TWO NORMALS!!!

15 comments:

Sky said...

OMG! WONDERFUL NEWS!

It's so funny 'cause I'm reading and thinking, OMG, stop with this and give us the results and then I read "stop babbling already" and had to laugh!

It's so funny that I've read before that usually the really highly graded embryos turn out to be abnormal and in your case, that was right.

Woo Hoo - 2 perfect babies!

R said...

Wow!!! I'm so happy for you. Woot,woot!!!!!! (do you think I use to many exclamaition points...lol)

elliej said...

I have been following your journey but haven't posted before now. Congratulations!!! They are such fantastic results, you really couldn't ask for better. Weren't you absolutely right to trust your instincts and press for testing of all the blasts you had? I wouldn't be stressing about blast appearance; as you've seen apparent quality does not equate to normal chromosomality (new word). Ever closer to your baby(ies)... elliej xxx PS: We had 3 blasts microarrayed at CCRM a week ago which we were really chuffed with; can't believe the results are coming back so quickly, scared xxx

Emily said...

Such WONDERFUL news!!!! YAY! I can't believe how short the wait was, although I am sure it felt like forever.

See, it so pays to be your own advocate - they are smart, but they don't know everything. Mother's instinct ;)

2 normals is wonderful - I trust CCRM will do everything they can to give you two frosties on transfer day!

ME! said...

YEAH!That is awesome! Isn't it crazy that the best embryo turned out to be abnormal? You just never do know, do you?

I am so excited for you girl!!

WOOT WOOT

Kris said...

Woohoo! That is something to celebrate for sure!!!:) What great news on a Friday to end your week. I am so super excited for you!
Kris

DAVs said...

That is AWESOME news!! So so happy for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! :) Lots of love, L

Jill M. said...

Wahoo!!!!! Great news!!!!

This is getting really interesting how so many perfect grades are coming back abnormal and the poor quality embryos are the normals. This definitely explains why there are so many failures since they always transfer the best and discard many normals because they don't look good. This makes me doubt my frozen 4AA.

Good for you for making them biopsy the one they wanted to discard! I'm sure many women will follow in your foot steps as you have proven looks aren't everything.

Wishing both of us a little K&J! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Excellent news!!! Two Normals!!! Yay!!!!!!!

Yan

Sue said...

OMG! That is such great news! I am so jealous! Now, it also makes me a little ticked at myself for not insisting they test some of other embryos that they didn't biopsy and freeze (all of the other 6 were still growing!)...but it is a lesson for future cycles and for girls who do future CGH/Microarray cycles. I am so happy for you! Are you starting the FET soon? Congrats!!!!

JJ said...

KayJay, congratulations on this great result. What a huge relief and in record time, too. Wow, the microarray lab really have it together now, to be getting results back this quickly. I'm so very happy for you; isn't it just a great feeling to know that you make normals? I burst into floods of tears on my nurse, too, when she called me with our results a few weeks ago. It'll be really interesting to hear what Dr Schoolcraft says about it all. Enjoy this wonderful news! xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

YAY! THIS IS SUCH WONDERFUL NEWS!!! I am so so happy for you. I just got back from vacay and when I saw your blog title...I knew it was good news.

Josée Martens said...

I can't believe I missed the news!

THat is fantastic. I am so glad you pushed to get all of them tested. Sending baby dust your way!

Me said...

I just want you to know that you are the inspiration for me to request that CCRM biopsy my two 4BC embies this week. Even if they do come back abnormal, I'm glad I knew there was a possibility of them being normal such that I asked to have them check. Knowledge is power, right?