Monday, April 6, 2009

It's snowing

Yes, spring has officially arrived yet we are in the grips of a snowfall here. It's overcast, sky is grey and it was snowing big huge flakes this morning and has since turned into sleet that hits your face like hard little ice pellets except wet enough to stick. Needless to say, my walk with Daisy this morning was short and sweet rather than our usual jaunt through the forest and around the parks in the neighbourhood. There were some pretty confused robins hopping around, leaving these cute little "-->-" tracks in the snow. Hopefully this terrible weather won't last.

It is now officially the half way point of our microarray wait. I just read on Sue's blog that CGH is taking about 8 weeks since the lab is helping to set up another clinic with CGH testing. I don't know if microarray is done by the same place but if it is, we're in for another 2 more weeks on top of the 6 weeks we were originally told.

What to do in the meantime? I haven't recommitted myself to any plan yet in terms of diet, exercise and meditation so I guess I should be figuring that out soon. It's hard though since I need so much privacy to do many of these things like meditation and my castor oil hot packs and we always seem to have a steady stream of house guests. I can always go into my room and close the door when I need privacy but I'm not comfortable since there is the possibility that I will be interrupted.

Easter is next weekend and I have a lot of family in town and a lot of family events going on. I'm going to make some of the chick & bunny cake pops following the instructions from the Bakerella site so that will be fun. If they turn out, I will post some pictures here. It will be a first for me as I have never made any cake balls like Ashley has. I tried making a Tart Tatin for the very first time this weekend and it didn't quite turn out as I thought it would (tasted good - looked terrible since the caramel was very watery). Nothing like runny caramel to teach me to use the type of apples as is specified in the recipe!! My DH is a master BBQer and we had our inaugural BBQ of the season yesterday - he smoked 2 racks of back ribs and it was SO GOOD. The meat was tender and perfectly seasoned, falling off the bone. He only put a dry rub on it too and omitted the sauce since most BBQ sauces contain tons of sugar and I am trying not to eat sugar these days (the tart was my one treat this week!). I'm a convert to dry rubbed ribs now they were that good!

I sure hope it stops snowing soon...

8 comments:

R said...

It was totally snowing here to this am. Hope all goes well with your baking attempts. (Ashleys cake balls are good but too sweet for me) If you make bunny cakes I always find that unsweetened coconut on the outside tastes good and looks like bunny furr. gl.

kayjay said...

Oooh! Good tip! Thanks R!

Jill M. said...

Crazy weather huh! One day it's sunny and the next a blizzard.

I was just leaving Sue some CGH "hurry up" vibes, so I'm sending you some too.

JJ said...

Hoohoo. It's even cold in Atlanta today..... So the microarray lab is totally different from the cgh lab. I hope that means microarray is still at 6 weeks. But it could also meant that CCRM are sending more biopsies to the microarray lab while they help with setting up the other clinic for cgh. Not sure. Good for you on the sugar. I've slipped for now, but am intending to go sugarless again from now on. Would you believe, I've gained 8lbs since eating normally again. Yikes!

Hugs, hugs and more hugs as you await the results.

DAVs said...

It's already H-O-T here so I cannot imagine snow!
Your baking sounds like fun--do post some pics!

Emily said...

Snow?! Yuck! My family said it snowed in Buffalo today too - I guess I am turning into more of a wimp than I ever imagined, b.c snow sounds unbearable right now.

I hope, hope, hope you do not have 2 more weeks of waiting :(

Thanks for the support! Happy baking!

Anonymous said...

you are cruel! you cannot just casually say Jeff has made RIBS!!! Leaving Jeff's BBQ may be the one of the hardest things about leaving Canada....

Sue said...

I can't wait to see the pics of your bunny pops! I went to the site and almost died at how cute they were! Now, I want to try it! Maybe I will and send some up to my neices with my mom this weekend!

I hear you about the sugar. With the digestive thing I am back to eating gluten free. Not sure why my belly is overreacting but I have to fix it somehow. Sugar is my next thing to cut out - did you read anything about gluten intolerance being linked to unexplained infertility? I saw something about it a few weeks ago and was like, AHA!

Well, don't fret - it is snowing here too! wish I could say otherwise...its either always freezing rain or snow right now. Yuck. Hang in there- I hope the microarray results aren't in that 8 week thing (I don't think so -guessing they are still at 6 wks).