Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Evil. Pee. Sticks. Need I say more?

My friend A. reminded me how quickly your emotions can turn on the lightness or darkness of a pee stick line, hence the "evil pee sticks" title of this post. I started the day out optimistically thinking that first morning urine will have a high concentration of HCG so my ghost line should get darker right? Seems logical. [insert heavy sarcasm here] Now what about the journey so far would make me think that things happen LOGICALLY???

I proceeded to POAS and got this:




Snow white. After an agonizing 10 minutes (after which they say you're not supposed to read the results), a very faint second line showed up. Of course, you can imagine the freaking out that started. So I pulled out my very last, expensive Cl.ea.r.blu.e. test, took a deep breath and then followed the instructions exactly and got this:



It reassured me somewhat but then I started to wonder why the first test showed nothing? Same pee. Did that mean it wasn't doubling properly? I have been caught in non-doubling beta hell before and to say we're nervous and anxious is an understatement.

I left all my HPT at home, swore I would not test during the day and lasted all the way until I got home at 7pm and broke down and tested again. I've been trying to stay hydrated throughout the day and drank lots of water so I wasn't sure what I would get but there is definitely a second line now...faint but still there:


Pee sticks are evil. How am I ever going to last until Friday's beta?

I'm scared...this is where we got to last time, the high of a BFP and then the crashing desolation of a non-doubling beta. I keep reminding myself that we transferred two normals so our chances are so much better this time but still, there is that nagging fear.

I made an appointment with my family doctor tomorrow because I need a prescription for more meds to get me through the weekend but I don't know what to ask for. My nurse never e-mailed me back. Do I need 2 weeks of Estradot (Vivelle), Progesterone & Estrace? Four weeks? When do they start weaning you off if your b/w comes back okay?

How do you ladies stay sane???

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it is such a ringer! But don't forget you are still testing early! And the Clear Blue Easy was definitely there (and pretty strong considering I might add). I once tested a full WEEK after a BFP because I wanted to see a real dark line - it was not any darker, and I used the same brand, from the same box... and the blood work showed that it was going up... so the darkness of the line is just.not.reliable... Will your second Beta be on Monday then? Hoping the next week will put this all to bed and send you to cloud nine instead!

Andrea

kayjay said...

You know, you already made me feel better this AM when you said that the sticks are evil and now when you shared your story about not getting a darker line after a BFP and confirmed rising beta blood levels. I take the results like they're gospel or something but there is a lot that can go wrong. Yes, you can "pee wrong" as my other friend put it! So thank you for all the reassurance during this very needy time :)

Emily said...

Maybe the first one was defective? Those others look convincing to me!
Not sure exactly how ccrm does it, but i had to get all refills called in by my RE and he kept me on estrace and progesterone for 16 weeks. I believe CCRM is on a case by case basis depending on your bw results that they recheck often. Can't wait for Friday!

Jill M. said...

Whew, you scared me to death with that evil snow white stick! Don't do that to me! So relieved to see the following positive sticks. So beta is Fri? That's only 2 days away. I'm sure you're rolling your eyes at the "only" part. Easy for me to say huh! Hoping for a nice big #!

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, I needed it! =)

momsoon said...

I know it is sooooooo hard, but a line is a line...thinking,praying, everything crossed. xox

Kris said...

I have heard with some women that their FMU is not "as good" as their afternoon urine as far as HPTs go. I hate pee sticks too and I agree that they are evil. You only have one more day to go until your beta.

And, oh, you must have been 7dp5dt when you did these tests, right? Maybe the other day it was an evaporation line since it was so early? I have a friend who always got her BFP on the afternoon urine on 7dp5dt. She would pee in the moring and not have the double line and then later in the day she would get the double line

Hang in there! Friday is on the way:)

Kate said...

Just came across your blog. I've been staring at pee sticks for years, wondering evap vs faint BFP. You're testing mighty early to get a decent line on one of those internet cheapies, but I sure see a line there.
The urine HCG is so variable - I say it's positive, and don't drive yourself insane checking to see if it's darker till beta tomorrow!
At least your clinic is testing early - mine made me wait till 20dpo to test, since I was on HCG boosters. And amazingly, I didn't POAS till after they called with the beta result!
Good luck tomorrow with the real test...

DAVs said...

YOu know what? I know I'm not really that qualified to give this advice, but I say do your very best to take it one day at a time. And right now YOU ARE PREGNANT!!!

YIPPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!

Sky said...

I'm going on record saying I ONLY think the cheapy pee sticks are evil. If I had a nickel for every time someone got a negative on one of those (myself included) with a positive on a REAL pee stick 5 minutes later!!!

They're cheap for a reason - their quality stinks and is unpredictable!!!

I tested positive 3-4 times on FRER and Clear Blue Easy and the SAME MORNING no line at all on the Dollar Store stick.

The day before my beta, the FRER was DARK - nearly as dark as control line and the Dollar Store stick was unbelievably FAINT and only appeared after several minutes.

You'll make it until tomorrow and believe me, you're pregnant! Woo Hoo! :)

Sue said...

My FMU tests are ALWAYS light! I actually think that the overnight storage of urine actually dilutes the sample. I mean I seriously always get darker sticks in the evening- I don't even do them on FMU anymore b/c it freaks me out. After saying that, since we both did FET's, we stay on the meds for a long time. I am now at 8w4d and just weaning down to 1 patch of vivelle, still on 1 estrace a day and still doing the PIO...I started cutting down to the PIO every other day but then my P4 dropped, so they upped it again. After a FET, your body doesn't take over until about 9-10 weeks, earliest. Don't worry too much - I think you will get a nice beta tomorrow.

ME! said...

I am sorry you going crazy. :) Tomorrow will be the day!!!! I have never had the POAS anxiety- so I couldn't tell ya how to stay sane. Plus I am already crazy!! LOL!

Jill M. said...

Sending you positive vibes today for a perfect beta #!!!!

Elliej mentioned that I should try the hypnofertility that you did and I think she's right. I'm struggling thinking positive right now. I was wondering if you would recommend it and was curious how much it is and how to get started. Thanks!

Howdy said...

Turmeric Curcumin
Melatonin
Vitamin D3
Magnesium
Probiotics
Biotin
Biotin Supplement