Friday, July 31, 2009

A Little More Scary Bleeding

**Warning - this is definitely a TMI kind of post with lots of bodily functions discussed in detail**

Wednesday night I had a very scary episode of bleeding. If I thought the little spotting was bad enough on the weekend to send us to the emergency, this was out and out bleeding. Frightening.

I went to go pick up my DH at work Wednesday night and went to pee right before I left. Nothing on the pantyliner. When I got back 45 minutes later, my pantyliner was about 50% soaked with bright red blood. I even noticed a drop or two in the toilet water. We called CCRM right away and they put me on bed rest for the rest of the day plus the next day and prescribed me an antibiotic (eurythromicin?). The nurse told me that if there is a tear (which they did see on Saturday's u/s pictures), there is now risk of infection so they want to make sure that they've covered off that possibility. I also made the nurse tell me and then repeat twice that the bleeding is normal, especially with twins. It's still so freaky though - one moment you're fine and the next moment you've got blood all over your underwear. I don't even get menstrual flow that heavy on a good cycle!

The one good thing is that I haven't noticed any cramping at all which is the only thing that I find reassuring. The bleeding started and stopped pretty quickly but I've continued to spot in varying shades of pink/bright red/brown. I've also had a lot of vaginal discharge from the high levels of E2 so every time I feel that there is moisture, I rush to the bathroom to look since I can't tell anymore what it is - blood or discharge? I'm back to obsessively checking the toilet paper every time I pee.

Well...I wished for a little morning sickness and I got my wish. Meal times have become very challenging for me. It's not that I feel queasy most of the time - I actually feel pretty hungry a lot but once I raise that fork to my lips, I feel my throat closing and I gag alot. My poor DH has been running around, heating up food for me that I don't end up eating. My problem is that I'm trying to remain as gluten free as possible througout the first trimester but man, what I would give for some dry toast or soda crackers! I know these are not gluten free, but I've been eating a lot of dry cereal of late - Corn Flakes & Rice Crispies. It's all that I can get past my lips these days. I have also noticed that if I let myself get too hungry, the gagging gets even worse so I am trying to keep a steady stream of food to my mouth but that has been challenging. So far, dry cereal, fruit, smoothies, clear soups & rice noodles have been all that I can get down. I've found some gluten free waffles that are pretty good so I've been eating those too. I've been chewing on the ginger a lot but that doesn't seem to do much. Anyone have any suggestions on what calms their stomachs and what they've been eating?

Well, back to lying down. I promised my DH that I wouldn't sit at the computer too long and we don't have a laptop or wireless internet. Thank you for all of your sweet comments everyone and for coming back and checking in on me. You're all so sweet!

10 comments:

DAVs said...

Yikes I'm sorry you are having any scares like this! One would think that with all we go through the least we could get would be a scare-free pregnancy, right? But the gagging and nausea sound very promising, those hormones are working!!
Hang in there, sorry I don't have any m/s suggestions.

BabyMakingJourney said...

YIKES!! I know they say that it is normal, but it does seem like it would be scary!!! I am saying some prayers or you guys!! GOOD LUCK!!

Jill M. said...

Wowser, I'd be freaking out too! But I see this all the time with IVF gals and they always seem to end up just fine, try to focus on that.

So yea, this is what I have to look forward to, fun! =)))

Enjoy the m/s! I hope to have it soon myself!

Sue said...

so sorry about the scare! I've heard there can be a lot of blood with twins. Hopefully all is okay...when is your next u/s?

I thought the first trimester wth bad m/s and staying gluten free was soooooo hard....but I was so scared not to. I was rigid with it. Glutino makes great GF pretzels...I lived off of them and I did okay with fruit...but I also lost a lot of food. Constant dry heaves all day and real vomiting all night. Feeling much better now...started at almost 11 weeks...hopefully yours won't be that long either!

Pie said...

That is a scare, alright! Please rest, take it easy! But the M/S is a good sign. Not that I can speak from experience (yet!), but I've heard sniffing and/or sucking on lemons is also helpful with M/S.

Hang in there, and please rest!!

JJ said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry about the scare. It must be terrifying. I'm glad to hear you're not having any cramps. Let's hope this is your last bleeding episode.

Regarding food and sickness, it's truly awful. I was so sick for about 7 weeks. I didn't do gluten free once I got pregnant (only before retrieval) so not sure what to recommend, but I cd keep down mac and cheese for a while (cd DH make this w gluten free pasta). I also ate alot of spinach quiche at first, tho not gluten free either. Eating all the time is a good idea, I'd get more sick on an empty stomach, but I hated eating, too. It's just a really tough phase.

Big hugs to you!

Meant to be a mom said...

How scary! The nausea is a good sign I would say. I'm praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, stumbled upon your blog through another. I am currently 14weeks pregnant with IVF twins and have had two occassions of bleeding/spotting and all is still perfectly well. I know it's nerve-wracking,no matter how many times they say it's normal. As for the morning sickness, Amen to the poster that mentioned lemons. I found that some sqeezed into water and a handful of oyster crackers made the world a better place. Pretty sure that they're not gluten-free, though. A chopped up apple was almost as good.
Sorry for the rambling--Congratulations, relax as much as you can and enjoy this!

Rebecca said...

I know that bleeding is scary and it's pointless to say not to worry, but you sound like you could use an encouraging story, so here it is:

A friend of mine who was pregnant with twins via IVF also experienced a lot of bleeding from a subchorionic hematoma from her 7th-10th weeks of pregnancy. She and her DH wound up going to the ER a few times and had lots of ultrasounds. She went on to deliver very healthy, adorable babies, so it's definitely quite possible even though you're seeing a lot of blood.

I don't have much to offer up in the way of gluten-free anti-nausea ideas. I pretty much subsist on 7Up, ginger ale, and saltines when I'm pregnant. I think some people have had good luck with peppermint tea. I love mint, so I bought some tea, but for some reason when I'm pregnant, even the idea of mint makes me nauseous.

Kris said...

Oh, man, how scary! Take it and rest and hopefully that tear will repair itself quickly so you stop bleeding. I am so sorry you are going through this.