Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rash & Memory Issues

I have completely broken out into this awful rash...exactly the size and shape of 4 Estradot (Vivelle) patches. I have 4 welts on my lower abdomen and about 8 welts on my buttocks. I want to scratch SO BADLY and every time I go to the bathroom (which is many, many times a day), the simple sensation of pulling down my pants to pee drives me to distraction and it is all I can do not to scratch. Sometimes I give in and scratch for a few seconds but you know how it is - once you start, you have a hard time stopping.

This is not a complaint - I welcome this experience and everything that goes along with it and I do mean everything, even the itchy, uncomfortable rash. I haven't heard of any of you other ladies out there mentioning a rash so I was curious to know if anyone was able to get rid of one once they got it?? It has been days now since I peeled off the ones from my abdomen and I can still count all 4 patches. My buttocks feel like they're on fire and the warmth from the rash you can feel right through my pants. I'm going to try some calamine lotion on it tonight and hopefully that will help it go down or go away. I read the instructions that came in the box of Estradot and I chose a different site today (upper abdomen, waist area) which is okay as per their helpful diagram so hopefully the skin in the new area will not flare up.

I have also been extremely absent minded of late. I am forgetful on a good day and it has just gotten worse in the last week. Here's my list of absent minded things I've done recently:
  1. Opened up my drawer in the bathroom to find my brush, hair bands...and my watch! I always put my watch on my night stand so I have no idea why I would suddenly change that and put it in the bathroom drawer.
  2. Put my plastic cards in the wrong slots in my wallet and then freak out because I can't find my credit card...it was just in the wrong slot.
  3. Lost my denim jacket...I can't even remember WHEN I lost it so it could have been lost for the past week and I can't remember where I last had it!
  4. Forgot a very important PIN #...finally figured it out but and I had all the right digits, just completely in the wrong order! (Do you know how many combinations 4 digits can make??)

I've been feeling okay for the most part. Today I didn't really have any symptoms which is a little worrisome but I have to remind myself that these will come and go. I just would like some verification every day that there is still something going on down there. Just a teeny, tiny little bit of MS would be good but from what some of you ladies are reporting, there never is just a teeny bit is there? You're all going to remind me that I wished for MS if I do get some down the road aren't ya?!

Still enjoying the ride though, every single second of it!!

P.S. for the two ladies who delurked and dropped in to say congrats ("Anonymous" and "triumph") - thanks! I know you want protocol details and I will post them this weekend but I think what made the difference for me was the CGH microarray testing and transferring only the embryos that came back normal.

8 comments:

Sky said...

I have no rash but the Vivelle dots leave an ugly, gray, sticky ring the shape of the Vivelle "dot" all over my stomach. Do you put these on your behind too? Is that an allowed spot? Have I been limiting to the stomach only? Ugh!

My butt, however, is lumpy from the PIO. I don't like it but, for now, I'm dealing with it and I really don't love the idea of suppositories either so let me see how long I can hold out on the PIO.

kayjay said...

I consulted the in package leaflet regarding where I could put the patch (and confirmed with my nurse) and the buttocks, waist, lower back (not the spine) and upper abdomen are all fine...basically some fleshy part of the trunk of your body except breast tissue. I had the sticky rings too and scrubbed and scrubbed to get the adhesive to come off. Maybe that aggrivated the skin which is why I have the rash?? Who knows.

Sue said...

I've heard of one other woman having that reaction to the vivelle patches...and she was told to stop using them and to go on estrace. You might want to call your nurse and talk it over...that is actually an allergic reaction. I get exactly what Sky gets- the sticky ring that I have to scrub off and I get a little red b/c those things are so hard to pull off that they sometimes take skin. Oh and I asked my nurse about alternate spots b/c initially she said just on the belly and she said back was fine too - when we do 4 of them, it can become too much to keep them on the lower belly only.

I do get the wish for a little big of m/s. I did that in the beginning and then regretted it...but then again, I am kind of happy I got it b/c it does remind me that she is still growing in there...so as truly awful as I feel (sometimes I just want to cry), it is also oddly reassuring. To be honest, I think my "real" m/s started right around the time of my first u/s...so give it a week or so;-)

ME! said...

That sucks! Have you talked to your nurse? Sounds like a local allergic reaction- unless you normally have sensative skin. Have you tried hydrocortisone cream or benadryl cream?

Good luck sweetie!!

Meant to be a mom said...

Sorry to hear about the rash, I didn't ever use vivelle so I 'm unfamiliar with it.
I hope it gets better.

DAVs said...

That rash sounds super annoying--sorry about that. I hope they can figure out some relief for you!
As far as the memory thing goes...I've always heard people talk about a mysterious ailment known as "pregnancy brain"--I think you might be working on a full-blown case :)

PS My blog no longer updates on your blogroll since it went private. Sorry to be a pain!

Kate said...

I also think it could be a real allergic reaction - one of my REs switched estrogen patch brands because it was occurring commonly in her patients. I'm just on little blue tablets vaginally twice a day.
I hear you on wishing for morning sickness. I've been thinking the same thing, though I suppose it could still show up in the next couple weeks...

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I hope all is well with you. I'm one of the two ladies who had requested your protocol details at CCRM. I know you said you would post them on the weekend but just wanted to remind you because of your recent "memory issues". Would it be possible for you to contact me on my email God.willing01@gmail.com. Thanks and Take Care!