Sunday, July 19, 2009

Protocol Details

As promised, here is the protocol that I was on for the embryo retrieval portion of my cycle. Please keep in mind that I was also doing acupuncture 2x/week with a TCM that specialized in IF and I was also taking Chinese herbs. I continued to take the herbs without my clinic knowing and against their advice - they have a very clear policy of no herbs, even in the form of herbal tea.

I think this protocol is commonly referred to as the Estrogen Priming Protocol (EPP) and went like this:

1/28 - AF arrives; DH and I both start Doxycycline 2x/day for 10 days

2/6 - start testing for LH surge using OPK

2/8 - LH surge detected

2/18 - start estrace 2mg 2x/day (10 days after LH surge)

2/19 to 2/21 - Cetrotide injections 1x/day

2/23 - AF arrives; stop Estrace

2/24 - pre-stimulation check meaning u/s to check for cysts, E2 & P4 check
2/25 - start stims - 2 amps of Menopur in the AM; 300 Gonal F in the PM; start Dexamethasone 1x/day in the evenings; repeated daily

3/2 - continued stims as above & began Cetrotide 1x/day

3/7 - last day of stims; only did 2 amps of Menopur in the AM; no Gonal F in the PM; HCG shot at specified time

3/9 - embryo retrieval


I discussed my Day 3 fertilization report in a previous post but this was definitely the best cycle for us in terms of total retrieved, mature & fertilized. We have never made blast before either so there were some significant improvements over our previous cycles.

As we chose to do genetic testing, this was a freeze all cycle for us and we returned in July to do a FET & pick up the kid(s). I hope this helps!

As for the awful rash, it's still there and my hives have hives but it is slowly going down. I have been slathering Calamine lotion all of my torso to help with the itchiness and it makes it go away temporarily but all it takes is for a soft touch of fabric against the rash for me to get the urge to SCRATCH!!!!! I've never used Calamine lotion before and am quite surprised how watery it is but whatever works. I switched to oral Estrace on Friday thank goodness so it is just a matter of time until my rash goes away.

6 comments:

DAVs said...

I always love reading about the protocols. Yours obviously was the MAGIC ONE! YAY!

triumph said...

Thank you so much for posting details about your protocol. I agree with DAVs this was the magic protocol for you. When did you start using the 4 vivelle patches in your protocol, also what kind of chinese herbs? A combination of things made it successful, so happy for you, good luck with everything. Thanks again for the details.

kayjay said...

Triumph - you're welcome! The Vivelle (Estradot) patches I used was part of the FET protocol I just did. I didn't use Estradot patches during the stim cycle at all.

triumph said...

Thanks again kayjay! I've had quite a few IVF cycles in the past but most ended up being cancelled due to poor response. My doctor stimed me at high doses with Follistim and Menopur, priming with the vivelle patch, but that protocol didn't work either. I don't respond to high doses of meds. I need a protocol where I can produce more than 2 mature follicles.

kayjay said...

I was all fired up on 750-800 units a day in previous cycles of Gonal F, Menopur & Repronex in some sort of crazy combination and it fried my eggs. I was so surprised that 450 units/day max did better than the higher doses. My doctor at CCRM told me that there is nothing proven that doses higher than 450/day are beneficial and it seems that for me, that held true. good luck with your next cycle.

Unknown said...

Nice to read on success ivf stories. your story is very inspiring. May i ask the specific dose of the Cetrotide before and during the stimulation? Did you have the same dose of Gonal and Menopur during the entire stimulation? May i ask also for the specific dose of Dexamethasone you took and until when did you take it? How many units of hcg did you use as a trigger? Can you remember how bif your follicles were at the time f trigger? Thanks.