Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lucky Charms

I used to point and laugh at people who carried around lucky charms, always whipping them out like talismans to ward off bad karma but you know what? I realized that I too have lucky charms. I'd like to think that mine are more subtle but you be the judge...

The first one is a necklace I wear around my neck. It's a Chantecler bell and legend has it that each time you hear it ring, it is your guardian angel asking you to make a wish. The funny thing is that most of the time, I don't hear it. It's very tiny, about 1cm in diameter and the ringing is a high little tinkling sound. My DH hears it all the time though and once, I was shaking the bell upstairs and he heard it all the way downstairs in the kitchen and he had to come all the way upstairs to tell me to stop shaking the thing :). Even when I do hear the bell, I get silly about my wishes and it usually goes something like this: "I wish that I get pregnant!" and then "No wait! I wish that I not only get pregnant but then I carry the baby to term" which then changes to "What I really wish for is to be pregnant with a HEALTHY baby that I carry to term" and so on.

The second thing that we do is both my DH and I sleep with two newborn sleepers under our pillows; we each have one pink one and one blue one. Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, I like to reach under my pillow and touch them, hoping that somehow, it will attract the right baby karma to us. One girl that I know of who did this ended up having twins after multiple IVF failures. The other girl that I knew who also did this got pregnant with a singleton, defying all the odds as she is 40 and a very poor responder (i.e. 1-2 eggs per IVF cycle).

The crazy things we find ourselves doing in the name of IF...

7 comments:

DAVs said...

Awww, that is really sweet about sleeping with the onesies! We don't really do any (I just asked DH) but we have bought a whole truckload of Curious George stuff years ago before we entered IF land...and sometimes I look at it for good luck. Does that count?

Linda said...

Great post. I'm not sure if I have any lucky charms, but when we started active ttc'ing (remember we never used any form of BC - so that's 15 years of ttc'ing now), we bought a Catholic Baby Memory/Book (back in 1994 I think). We still have it, but it's safely put away. Every now and then, I would take it out and flip through the pages, only to end up in tears. Anyway... I really like the idea of the onesies. And I hope and pray that you will be able to use them soon!!

Polly Gamwich said...

I liked your post - I think the onesie idea is really sweet! Too cute that hubby participates too!

Josée Martens said...

Awwwwwwwwwww. you are such a cutie!

And I do the same thing. I reword and reword until it comes out. I wish to give birth to a healthy child. :-)

Kris said...

I LOVE the sleeper idea. Too cute! I haven't had a chance to read your blog for a few days, but I was able to catch up today. Congrats on getting your flights booked! How exciting! I hope that AF arrives on time and doesn't mess everything up. Will you go out to CO on your own until DH can come out? Will anyone be able to go with you?

Thinking of you,
Kris

Kris said...

I just read your comment on my blog and I LOVED the hotel! Thanks for the great recommendation. Will you be staying there when you go back to CO in a couple of weeks?

Jill M. said...

Very sweet!!! We do similar things to help keep up our hope and faith. Sometimes they bring tears instead. I wish you the best!