Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Retrieval and Fertilization Report

Hey everyone - I'm sorry I haven't been able to blog until now but yesterday was kind of rough for me as I was sore and in more pain than I have been in the past so I was just lying around, trying not to move about too much. I didn't think I needed any pain meds until afternoon when the pain meds from the surgery wore off and I sent my DH out to find me some Tylenol.

I went in at 10am for retrieval and the first question out of my mouth after I woke up afterwards was "How many did they get?". Initially, Dr. Surrey said that they got about 7 which was a pretty good number for us but it got even better when the embryologist who came to talk to us told us the number retrieved was actually 11 after they went through the follicular fluid!!! Eleven!!! That is a record number for us!!!

Then, the waiting began for the fert report. We have gotten 10 eggs retrieved before but it was a dismal fert report afterwards so we were cautiously optimistic, but nervous all the same. Were we going to drop from our high of 11 eggs retrieved to a dismal number? So, we have been sitting by the phone all morning here, trying to keep the phone free for that all important call from the lab. That finally came at around 11:20am.

Well, of the 11 they retrieved, 8 (!!!) were mature and they ICSI'd all of them and that gave us 6 fertilized eggs!!!!!!! I was pretty happy about that and in my excitement, forgot to ask her what about the other 3 immature eggs of the original 11. So, had to call them back and then wait for the return call from the lab and she called back and said that of the 3 that were immature, 2 matured overnight and they will ICSI the add'l 2 today!!!!!!!!!

We're so happy!!!!

So, of the 11 retrieved, a total of 10 were mature and right now we have 6 fertilized with a potential for 2 more.

Yippee!!

Of course, now the nail biting begins to see how many make it to day 3 and ultimately to day 5 but it seems that we are off to a good start :). Tomorrow, the lab said that they would call us to let us know if any of the 2 that matured overnight fertilized. Right now though, we are riding high on the news to date. Go CCRM!

16 comments:

Jill M. said...

Wahooooo!!!! That is awesome KJ!!!! My day 1 fert report was 7 fertilized out of 23 retrieved, so you're doing fantastic! Keep us posted.

momsoon said...

WWWow!!! Those are some awesome numbers!!!
Great job KJ...You done good!!!
Now you can rest up, and know that we will be sending a big prayer for your embryos to remain strong...Take it easy!! I'll be checking on you and your (gulp)6-8 little ones!!!!! :o xox

Sue said...

Great job, KJ!!! So glad to hear that you got a record number of eggs and got a great fert report! Now, I will warn you, the next 5 days were DEADLY for me. I think they are worse than the 2mw for results (at least I am only 1 week into that and I'm not nearly that worried). That was the worst 5 day wait of my life...so try to stay busy and STAY POSITIVE! How long are you staying in CO now? Congrats! Feel better/Take Care/Drink lots of fluids!!!

ME! said...

YEAH!!! How exciting! I am praying for you! I hope they keep on dividing and are grade A in time for transfer~!~

Linda said...

I am just now getting online and catching up with blogs and what do I see?... You did good, girl! Woo-hoo! I am *so happy* to read that you have possibly 8 embies! I'm sending your embies strong embie growing vibes!! Can't wait to hear more!! :)

Sky said...

Wow - great stuff you've got there! Awesome! Will check in to see how you move along! :)

DAVs said...

GREAT REPORT!!! YAY!!!!

Kris said...

Woohoo for the great ER and fert report! That is awesome:) Can't wait to hear about the 2 that matured later.

JJ said...

Yay, I'm so happy for you. Congrats! Enjoy the great news. I'm rooting for them all to grow, grow, grow.

Soko's Journey to Parenthood said...

This is awesome. I am just amazed at all the high counts coming in from everyone today. It must just be all that Baby Dust in the air out there. I am sending some your way.

Hang in there, I remember the wait all so well. It will pass by quickly and soon the ET will be here.

Hope all continues to grow wonderfully and good things are coming your way. Keep us posted.

Take care,
Tracy

Emily said...

GREAT news!! Hoping this is the beginning of your happy ending!

Unknown said...

woohoo! 8 embies and more to come :) I`ll be sending positive thoughts their way, and yours too!

Anonymous said...

This is the best news I have heard all day!! I am so happy for you. What a great ER and fert. report. You need to rest up and take care of yourself. Can't wait to keep cheering you on!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I saw you in Mamasoon's bloglist.

I hope your embabies grow well towards Day3 or Day5! Hang in there!

Polly Gamwich said...

Congratulations! That is really a GREAT report! You must be thrilled, heck, I'm thrilled for you!!

WAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

R said...

Go Embies go! Will be praying for you (and them)