Sunday, January 11, 2009

Eating & Lifestyle Habits - Take 2

I changed my blog template...wish that some things in life were as easy to change as just choosing another option. I thought that with the new year and new beginnings it would be nice to have a new "look". Like it?


A few posts ago, I started blathering on about how stringently I was going to be adhering to my new and revised eating and lifestyle habits. Oh how sanctimonious I sounded! I completely gave up trying in December and baked my heart out and sampled everything along the way. Butter - check! Flour - check! White, granulated, processed sugar - check! Whipping cream - check! All of it...yummy...but now it's January and time to get back on track towards cycling again. So far, I don't think I've had one single day where I've been successful in eating no dairy, no gluten & no sugar. I've been much better at reducing it in my diet but I still slip up and eat it.

Today for example, I was eating lunch out and ordered a vegetarian stir-fry on rice. Sounds pretty safe right? Well, as soon as I saw the vegetables, guaranteed there was soya sauce in it which contains wheat (gluten - check!). I tasted the sauce over the vegetables and it tasted sweet so guess what - sugar...check! Finally, I thought the rice would have been safe but when I put that in my mouth, I tasted the unmistakenable richness that only butter can add...dairy - check! So that makes me zero for 3. I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow to be better.

It's so hard to give all of that stuff up, especially if you are eating out because you can't control what it is that you're eating. There are so many things that I can make at home that are sugar/dairy/gluten free that are typically made with any or all three of those ingredients listed when out in a restaurant that sometimes I'm fooled into thinking that they're safe to eat anywhere. Not so.

Rather than give up when I slip up, I'm going to try very hard to get back on the wagon right away. You see, in the past when I've slipped up and ate something I wasn't supposed to eat, I would then use it as an excuse to binge eat whatever it was that I wasn't supposed to be eating for the rest of the day. I had every intention of starting again "tomorrow" but I would get really lax with the rest of that day since it had already been screwed up. Oh glorious day when I slipped up in the morning! This time around the sugar/gluten/dairy-free tree, I'm not going to give up so easily. If I slip up, that is just at that point in time and I have decided to continue to try for the rest of the day. Granted, this is a small change but one that will make it easier to keep on this dietary pathway.

So for dinner, I'm going to try very hard not to eat anything gluten/sugar/dairy related and keep going from this point. I have to start schooling my brain into monitoring for these things again. But I can't give up so easily...my time to prepare is getting short and I need to make the most of what time I have left. I'm 99% sure I'm going to apply for a Baking & Pastry Arts program that starts this fall and I can pretty much guarantee you that I will be the first Pastry chef that doesn't eat gluten, dairy & sugar! I hope they don't laugh me out of the class!!

P.S. The funny ache in my side is now gone so I hope that means that any related cysts have also disappeared. It must have finally listened to my "cyst be gone" chant!

2 comments:

DAVs said...

Wow you're really hard core! The only things I successfully gave up for infertility were meat, Diet Coke (or any diet drink basically) and caffeine. I keep saying I'll kick sugar but...
Good luck!!

Jill M. said...

So true!!! You make a great point of how we have the tendency to just give up just because we slip up. You've inspired me to keep going even if I slip up. Thanks!