Tuesday, January 13, 2009

How Much Did That Cost??

I'm an Accountant...well, at least for now, that is the hat that I am wearing. I've really made a point last year of keeping track of our medical expenses because I knew that there would be a lot of receipts and come tax time, the summarization would be a horrendous task to complete. Yes, even us accountants can find sorting through a large pile of receipts a little daunting, especially when they're old and not organized.

I knew that we spent a lot of money on treatment and medication in 2008 but the sum total was staggering, even to me. I told my DH the morning after I had completed my initial summary and he almost literally fell out of bed. If you had told me that we would have spent so much on treatment 6 years ago when we started all of this, I never would have believed you. Not in a million years.

Curious how much we've spent? Our total medical expenses, all IF related for 2008 was (drum roll please)....

$64,185.80

Yep, that total was the amount we spent from January 1st to December 31, 2008. One year.

We are not rich but we are comfortable, don't live an extravagant lifestyle and we've had the benefit of 2 incomes up until 2007 when I quit my job to focus on treatment full time. We had savings, which have since been completely depleted. Our final act of desperation was to draw against the equity in our home to fund one last treatment in the US. Granted, we haven't completed the US cycle yet so there is a huge chunk of money in the total above for an IVF cycle we will do in early 2009. But wow...$64K in ONE YEAR?

I know that we are extremely fortunate to have the funds to pay for treatment but this is it...there will be no more treatment after this one because we are, quite simply, out of money. I will not spend $64K again in 2009 chasing this dream. I can't keep asking my DH to continue to support me while I sit at home with no children, knowing that I can help our family's finances if I returned to work.

For those of you who like details, the total above breaks down as follows:

$800 - Counselling
$6,580 - medication not covered by health plans
$14,445 - Canadian IVF fees
$41,904 - US IVF fees (including travel expenses)
$457 - Acupuncture fees

Since I am Canadian, fees for doctors' visits, b/w and u/s are covered by provincial health care plans and my DH's private health insurance had some IVF drug coverage that we used up at the beginning of 2008. This is what is over and above that. Also, we have spent so much $$ on treatment, all of it charged to our credit card with reward points for travel, that we have enough to fly to CCRM for free every time we need to go. Can you imagine how high the total would have been if I had to include these things in addition to the above?!

I don't mean this blog to come across as a whine because I am truly grateful that we have been able to do as much treatment as we have done. My realization from this exercise is that we have gone further than we ever thought we would have gone down this road and spent more money than we could have ever imagined. I laugh when I remember how it was when we started - I wanted to do this all naturally, didn't want to take any drugs, was a complete ninny about needles, blushed during doctors' examinations, moaned about the inconvenience of having to get up early to go for b/w and u/s...I was so naive. I realize how much this experience has made me grow up. What an expensive lesson this has been.

Do I regret the money spent? BFP says no I won't. BFN says I will. And that is the hard part - not knowing which side of the equation you're going to end up on. However, I know that I am grateful to have had the chance at all because I know that there are many out there that want the same thing that I do but can't afford treatment.

So what will $64K buy you? A few more shots, another kick at the bucket and the opportunity to chase the dream, one more time. I would be really sad if all the money we had couldn't give us this chance.

6 comments:

DAVs said...

Whoa. I thought our 51K total was impressive.
This all just makes me SICK SICK SICK. It is not fair, we should be able to spend our money on things other people get to--vacations, home improvements, or SAVINGS.
ARGH! I hope it will all be worth it for you very very soon!

Jill M. said...

I can so relate to this post. We've spent about that much as well. I have a credit card bill staring at me right now with $23k on it that I owe for my last IVF. The 1st 2 IVFs we paid in full before we rec'd the BFN news. This one, I rec'd the BFN and then the bill. Gosh it sucks to pay that knowing the end result. Here, let me charge a heart break. But like you, we are so blessed that we had the money to try. Now that the money tree is in winter, the decision to try try again is daunting. We're nearing that point where money will stop our journey. I pray that we both receive our miracle before the money brings us to a halt. How horrible that would be to pay out all this money and have nothing to show for it. I joke that I have already spent our kids college and wedding fund, but in reality it's not funny at all. But we have to keep up the hope and faith that our time is coming. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I am so scared to find out my own number. The big file with all the medical receipts is sitting right to my left, with sheets of papers sticking out of it, yet I can't bring myself to add it all up. Can't wait to post this same one on my blog. Again, ouch.

I am praying that one day, we all have a beautiful something or somethings to show for it!

Rebecca said...

That is a pretty darn painful number. It's hard to imagine that's for just one year, but it adds up fast, particularly at a place like CCRM. We've topped six figures, but it took us nearly six years to get there thanks to some insurance coverage and a shared-risk plan for our first IVF cycle.

Polly Gamwich said...

I saw on a comment that you made on Sue's blog that you may be at CCRM in late February. If this cycle doesn't work out (which sadly, I don't think it will) and if I ovulate somewhat on time - I too should be out there around late February! That Colorado - it's an infertiles mecca!

GL!

Linda said...

I just caught up in reading your posts. You are not alone.

As for this particular post...Oh I believe it! But try not to get caught up in the dollar amount. I freaked out when we crested six figures chasing our dreams. But what is the price of a take-home baby? Priceless! I hope and pray with all my might that this next cycle will be successful. :)